Blank serial plate needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blank serial plate needed

Anyone have a '63 or later serial number blank plate available? Thanks.

The only ones I have seen were from a fellow in Australia, but I can't remember who it was. I don't think it was Chris Skinner, but he may know who has them. Good luck, Bill.

Comment

Matt,

Chris Skinner, from Brisbane was doing some of these. I don't know if was he was reproducing, was year specific. I know that he was getting some real blow back from people, who dicated that it was illegal. I had never given it much thought, since I had replaced the one on my 80R, years ago. I guess that would be a great deal harder to phony up a known quantity, like the 50+ 80R's, compared to maybe 500, 1963's. I guess the answer would be to have everything well documented before beginning the process.

Comment

Bezhawk can make one and has the decal/stickers, just asked about it a week or so ago. The guy in Austrailia closed his business and said he does not have access to parts anymore.

Comment

I found one at Myer's, so I'm all set. Didn't realize anyone had them made up.

Comment

search "white gloves collection" bought one for my 50 champion with the vin engraved. was about $100. they even sell rivets/screws.

Comment

The State Motor Vehicle Dept's all know that Studebaker WELDED their Serial Number Plates on, until 1965 when the Canadian Plant used the special headed Rivets.

In this State, they now when a Title-less Vehicle comes in, carefully scrutinize the Serial Number Plate, look it up in the Book AND find the location of the "Secret" Serial number, then scrape the Frame and Locate THAT!

I then have to wait 3 Years to get a Title, only a Registration, Lic. Plate and Sticker are issued until then.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rick Bloomquist, owner of White Glove collection, passed away a year or two ago. I doubt that the family is as dedicated to his projects as he was. Thirty years ago that's where I got the beautifully reproduced plate for my 80R.

Comment

Bill I am sure several of us have been wondering what this Model Number you posted several times IS? Chevy, Toyota???
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Bill I am sure several of us have been wondering what this Model Number you posted several times IS? Chevy, Toyota???
                    80R is a 1931 President (short wheelbase), such as a Four Season Roadster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1720532

Name:	IMG_3868.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1720533

Comment

Well look at that, the Pre-Wars had the Body Tag RIVETED ON!

Is that the Late Bill Cannon's President? I worked on his.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        Well look at that, the Pre-Wars had the Body Tag RIVETED ON!

Is that the Late Bill Cannon's President? I worked on his.
                        I don't know if it was riveted on originally or not; this car was a basket case before it was restored.

No, not Bill Cannon's car. This one is owned by the Cade Museum here in Gainesville.
                        Last edited by mbstude; 05-04-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Hi Blokes
                          I have a D'Ieteren assembled 1964 Hawk 6cyl and have recently seen another car that was V8 with factory leather interior.
                          Both cars have the serial plates fixed with Phillips head screws and not spot welded on. I was a little dubious about my cars serial number being screwed on originally, but having seen another, I am sure it is correct.
                          My serial number matches my car.

Regards
                          Greg

Name:	IMG_2189.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1720535 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2758.jpg
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1720536
                          Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                          1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                          1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                          1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                          1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                          1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                          1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

I would think that the shipped "Knocked Down" crated Cars had everything loose, maybe including the Serial Number Plate.

This rarely to never, happened on a South Bend or Los Angeles built Post War Vehicle.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich
                              nope. Canada Cycle assembled cars were all spot welded on

It’s the first time I have seen screwed on ones.
                              Greg
                              Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                              1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                              1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                              1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                              1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                              1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                              1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X