Recommended NW Studebaker Mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended NW Studebaker Mechanics

Would anyone have a recommendation on reliable Stude-friendly mechanics in the NW? Ideally in or near Portland, OR. I've tried finding them through the Resources link, but am not seeing any. One of my local chapter's members, Chuck, was recommended - but I was also informed he's very busy/backed up. Hoping to find some additional recommendations.

Thank you!
    Ronnie | Portland, OR

1959 Studebaker Lark VIII Regal (Hardtop)

Chuck does come with highest recommendations, been waiting months. The fact that he is so busy tells me there are not many other choices.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Another point about him being busy and backlogged is that he is a hard working, dedicated Studebaker mechanic. And affordable, too.
      Given all of that, it is best to work out a schedule with him, because there are no obvious alternatives.

Comment

Chuck did all of the mechanical work (engine, trans, front end rebuild) on a '56 President I bought from another gentleman in Oregon. That was one of the best running and driving Studebakers I've had.

Comment

Why not contact Jerry Blount at Studebaker Center of Oregon:

He is in Damascus, OR. Also on post #3.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have no doubt Chuck is the authority on Stude mechanical work in the area, just figured I'd see if there were others as well. I'll have to jump into his queue of Stude owners needing work.
            Ronnie | Portland, OR

Comment

I have given serious thought to opening up a Studebaker service facility, when I retire in a couple of months. It seems the market is wide open, all across the USA. I'd focus on major & minor mechanical repairs, tune ups, etc..

No body work, or paint though, other than panel replacement. Too time consuming, and not my forte anyway. No interior either, as I hate doing interior work. I gutted the 63GT in order to replace the headliner, and if I ever get it all back together, I do not plan to ever do another one. No windshield replacements either, as I had to call our local hot rod/classics' glass installer to re-install them on the GT, after the headliner was in place.

Just thinking out loud here.

Comment

Joe, at 77, I'm trying to slow down. Currently have 4 engine rebuilds and a 54 Chassey to rebuild including the frame.

Comment

Ronnie,
                  I have several in our area and here in Newberg that do a lot of work for me and are very good.

Precision Auto Center - Newberg - Mark Haugen - 503-538-2601 - for brakes, electrical, tune-up, general repairs
                  Drive Train Specialties - Newberg - Paul or Jaimie - 503-538-1276 - Transmission, engine work, tune-up, suspension, brakes, general repairs
                  The Tune-up & Carburetor Shop - Sherwood - Tony Price - 503-625-6900 - Carburetor (exceptional), Tune-up (great), engine work, brakes
                  Beaverton Radiator & A/C - Beaverton - Ron - Radiator, water pump, anything regarding cooling systems
                  Alignment Specialties - Aloha - Bill Boyce - 503-642-0998 - They can do alignments on older cars because they still have the old alignment stuff - excellent work

And of course, there is Chuck Tubens who is definitely our go to guy. But he has a long line of work in his que (including my car).
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                    Ronnie,
                    I have several in our area and here in Newberg that do a lot of work for me and are very good.

Precision Auto Center - Newberg - Mark Haugen - 503-538-2601 - for brakes, electrical, tune-up, general repairs
                    Drive Train Specialties - Newberg - Paul or Jaimie - 503-538-1276 - Transmission, engine work, tune-up, suspension, brakes, general repairs
                    The Tune-up & Carburetor Shop - Sherwood - Tony Price - 503-625-6900 - Carburetor (exceptional), Tune-up (great), engine work, brakes
                    Beaverton Radiator & A/C - Beaverton - Ron - Radiator, water pump, anything regarding cooling systems
                    Alignment Specialties - Aloha - Bill Boyce - 503-642-0998 - They can do alignments on older cars because they still have the old alignment stuff - excellent work

And of course, there is Chuck Tubens who is definitely our go to guy. But he has a long line of work in his que (including my car).
                    Thanks very much, Ed!
                    Ronnie | Portland, OR

Comment

Ronnie,
                      I see I forgot to include a phone number for Beaverton Radiator & A/C. It is 503-644-4691.
                      If you go to any of these shops be sure to let them know you were referred by me.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                        Ronnie,
                        I see I forgot to include a phone number for Beaverton Radiator & A/C. It is 503-644-4691.
                        If you go to any of these shops be sure to let them know you were referred by me.
                        I sure will! Thanks again.
                        Ronnie | Portland, OR

Comment

Working...
                        X