62 Hawk spacer for fan blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Hawk spacer for fan blade

Where might I obtain a spacer for the water pump to fan blade so that fan will not hit upper hose and/or pulley on main crank shaft? Thanks, Chet445

The length of the spacer depends on what fan you are using, as does the diameter of the snout on the spacer that protrudes thru the fan. The bore in the water pump side of the spacer is 5/8" if I remember correctly. Most universal spacers are 1/2" on each end, which works for most fans but the bore will need to be machined to fit the Stude water pump. I used one from a Ford, 1/2" on each end, and machined the bore and length to fit.

Comment

There was a 1 3/4 in. spacer advertised on the November Studebaker Parts Swap Page.
      Randy Ridenour
      Frostburg,MD
      1964 GT Hawk
      sigpic

Comment

What type Fan are you running? Most Studebaker Fans do not have hitting issues without the spacer, they are just too far from the Core on Larks and not 1/2 Fan Blade width inside the Shroud on Hawks as they should be.

Is it a Four blade?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have a 6 blade fan with 1/2 opening. It appears I need at least 1 3/4 clearance.

Comment

Find a generic spacer the correct length that you can bore the water pump end out on. It should be a no brainier for anyone with a lathe.

I replaced my stock fan with one, probably like you want to use, 6 blade flex fan, because my stock fan was destroyed when it hit the shroud on my Hawk when an engine mount broke. I was able to repair the shroud but the fan was a goner. So, there is potential for the fan to hit. Air filter dented the hood too.

Comment

As long as you do not have a clearance problem, i.e. back of the fan blade kissing something, there is no problem in running it without a spacer. You can probably get what you need though from several of our vendors. Try Barry at: studebakersite.com His phone is: 281 787 6230. His email is: barry@studebakersite.com

Comment

I located a spacer on the November Studebaker Swap Page; thank you to all who offered thoughts. Chet

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  As long as you do not have a clearance problem, i.e. back of the fan blade kissing something, there is no problem in running it without a spacer. You can probably get what you need though from several of our vendors. Try Barry at: studebakersite.com His phone is: 281 787 6230. His email is: barry@studebakersite.com
                  Chet's Fan hits both the Upper Rad. Hose AND the Crank Pulley, so apparently not a Studebaker Fan.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Chet's Fan hits both the Upper Rad. Hose AND the Crank Pulley, so apparently not a Studebaker Fan.
                    Oops. Looks like I shoulda read the OP closer.
                    Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X