Packard Hawk Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Hawk Distribution

In 1960, and some subsequent years, I heard from numerous S-P dealers that the top 500 dealers had to take at least one Packard Hawk. It could be either a sold unit or a unit for stock. The other 88 Packard Hawks went to other dealers or for additional units for the top 500. Again, these could be pre-sold units or units for stock. I never remember hearing this type of thing about the other three 1958 Packard models.

Do any of you remember this sort of thing or, better yet, have documentation of this?

I know that there were unsold Packard Hawks at the end of the model year, like Avantis, but that is material for another topic.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

It would be nice if PH owners had access to such info, as 56J owners have, thanks to Frank A's efforts. For example, I know there were 25 of the 56Js sold in KY, and where each one was sent to within KY.
    Hopefully someone can someday do as well with PHs. Especially since there were less than 600 of them, compared to 4071 of the 56Js.

Comment

Interesting thread.... as suggested, the car was a tough sell and Studebaker had to lose them somehow. Where else but to the dealers who might best absorb the units..... Very similar strategy for Champ trucks. Because they were a tough sell compared to GM & Ford, some dealers had to take 1 truck for every 4 cars ordered.....

Comment

In the mid 80's there was a PH in the small town of Henry, South Dakota. I stopped to ask the owner if it would be for sale. He told me I could have it for $850, but when I went back a month later he wouldn't sell it for that. He said that his wife had recently passed, and he must not have been in his right mind if he told my $850. I'm sure he has also passed by this time, but I wonder what ever happened to that car?

Comment

Somewhere, I read they sold more Packard Hawks in Cuba than they did in Canada (Fred Fox's TW article, July 1995? 5 vs. 3). Apparently, one of the three, a rather well equipped car with power windows and power seat was sold new in Winnipeg.

Craig

Comment

That is an interesting thought Gary. I wish I had some of those Factory to Dealer Communication Letters that would mention the procedure.

I know for a Fact that the Dealer Dad worked at would have been in on that 500, and I also Know they sold more than one of the Packard Hawks.
            My Dad sold a couple from Hawthorne, 2 White '58 Packards, a Hardtop and a Hawk.
            The Hardtop was the Lady's Car, she was a Managerial Type at Rosemarie Reed Swim Suits Co. in Hawthorne, CA.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I cannot say with certainty if that story is true but I doubt it. I have all of the 588 PH production orders and also have a lot of factory dealer letters as well as personal correspondence. It is possible I suppose that district sales reps pressured dealers to take the PH's but I find no communications to support a mandatory dealer quota.

For Packard Hawk fans I attach an ad I made up for the use of Andy Beckman who took the museum's car to the recent muscle car meet in Rosemont, Illinois.

Click image for larger version

Name:	58 ackard hawk labeled.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1717564Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1717565
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Wasn't there still two separate dealer groups in 1958? Didn't you have to be a Packard dealer to order/purchase Packard cars in 1957 & 1958? If you were just a Studebaker dealer don't think you could be "forced" into taking a Packard Hawk because only those dealers that were Packard or dual Studebaker and Packard Dealers could order Packard cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  I cannot say with certainty if that story is true but I doubt it. I have all of the 588 PH production orders and also have a lot of factory dealer letters as well as personal correspondence. It is possible I suppose that district sales reps pressured dealers to take the PH's but I find no communications to support a mandatory dealer quota.

For Packard Hawk fans I attach an ad I made up for the use of Andy Beckman who took the museum's car to the recent muscle car meet in Rosemont, Illinois.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69124[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69125[/ATTACH]
                  Thanks for your input Richard. It may have been at the District level. I know that those reps can be very pushy/persuasive.

As an aside. The SNM car appears to have 15 inch wheels. I know that most 1958 Studebaker models came with 14 or 15 inch wheels (one standard, the other optional), but I thought that (Salesman's Data Book) the 1958 Packards only came with 14 inch wheels (no options). After stating that observation, I seem to remember 15 inch on 1958 Packards and that they used the previous Packard wheelcovers. Perhaps it was a later change.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X