No announcement yet.

How many Studebakers in Daily Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just about given up driving at night. I came back from a polling place training session on Sunday )when My Chargers were playing my Pats). The vision conditions were just about horrible. I also won't let Marilyn ride in it - she has a plate in her neck and a rear-ender might snap it.

Thus, I use my '64 4 dr CDR only two or three times a week.
    (Almost everything I need is within walking distance and I like to walk.) Oh, I'm in La Mesa, next to San Diego.

Comment

I've just about given up driving at night. I came back from a polling place training session on Sunday )when My Chargers were playing my Pats). The vision conditions were just about horrible. I also won't let Marilyn ride in it - she has a plate in her neck and a rear-ender might snap it.

Thus, I use my '64 4 dr CDR only two or three times a week.
      (Almost everything I need is within walking distance and I like to walk.) Oh, I'm in La Mesa, next to San Diego.

Comment

I drive my 64 Champ as much as I can (when it's not in the shop).The main problem is the local building inspector knows the truck and he also knows if I have permits for each little renovation project.My backup car is a 71 Volvo P1800. Can't seem to drive a "normal" car. It's an affliction.

Comment

I drive my 64 Champ as much as I can (when it's not in the shop).The main problem is the local building inspector knows the truck and he also knows if I have permits for each little renovation project.My backup car is a 71 Volvo P1800. Can't seem to drive a "normal" car. It's an affliction.

Comment

Permits? I hope you are not saying where you live, you need some kind of "Permit" to work on your car! [:0]
            What would a building inspector have to do with cars? What COUNTRY do you live in?

quote:Originally posted by rbruner

The main problem is the local building inspector knows the truck and he also knows if I have permits for each little renovation project.
            StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Permits? I hope you are not saying where you live, you need some kind of "Permit" to work on your car! [:0]
              What would a building inspector have to do with cars? What COUNTRY do you live in?

quote:Originally posted by rbruner

The main problem is the local building inspector knows the truck and he also knows if I have permits for each little renovation project.
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry for the misunderstanding -the building inspector knows where I'm working when he sees the truck I do small reno jobs.

Comment

Sorry for the misunderstanding -the building inspector knows where I'm working when he sees the truck I do small reno jobs.

Comment

This thread was not started to debate the use of the Studebakers but rather who is still using them daily. Agreed that in bad weather the cars should be protected. However, this club was founded on keeping the cars on the road, driven and seen. Yes they are more difficult to maintain than a modern car. But the very name of the club says it all. The more the cars sit, the more of a problem they become. They have to be used or you will have a huge repair bill the day you decide to take one of em out for a drive. They were meant to be driven and maintained. On my new 1964, I just went through a barrage of repairs that most likely would not have been had the car been driven. DRIVE YOUR STUDEBAKER AS OFTEN AS YOU WANT AND ENJOY. STUDEBAKER WAS NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF MAKING MUSEUM PIECES, BUT RATHER VEHICLES TO BE ENJOYED BY THE MASSES.

Comment

This thread was not started to debate the use of the Studebakers but rather who is still using them daily. Agreed that in bad weather the cars should be protected. However, this club was founded on keeping the cars on the road, driven and seen. Yes they are more difficult to maintain than a modern car. But the very name of the club says it all. The more the cars sit, the more of a problem they become. They have to be used or you will have a huge repair bill the day you decide to take one of em out for a drive. They were meant to be driven and maintained. On my new 1964, I just went through a barrage of repairs that most likely would not have been had the car been driven. DRIVE YOUR STUDEBAKER AS OFTEN AS YOU WANT AND ENJOY. STUDEBAKER WAS NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF MAKING MUSEUM PIECES, BUT RATHER VEHICLES TO BE ENJOYED BY THE MASSES.

Comment

I agree that any old car needs to be driven. I do have the knowledge to do my own repairs. But they are far and few between. Being a single parent and with one out of three kids still being raised at home. Not only my love for Studebakers for thirty years of driving them daily. Its Studes that have been my secret all these years. No car payment each month that I couldn't afford , cheap registration, and insurance. On my income that has allowed me to raise my children. And they are tough enough to go drag racing, and vacation on the savings.

Gordon

Comment

I agree that any old car needs to be driven. I do have the knowledge to do my own repairs. But they are far and few between. Being a single parent and with one out of three kids still being raised at home. Not only my love for Studebakers for thirty years of driving them daily. Its Studes that have been my secret all these years. No car payment each month that I couldn't afford , cheap registration, and insurance. On my income that has allowed me to raise my children. And they are tough enough to go drag racing, and vacation on the savings.

Gordon

Comment

Same here Gordon. Over the years whenever I've gotten into a pinch, theres always been a Studey that seems to have come along and kept me going at just the right time. They are simple/cheap to repair and are reasonably reliable.

Comment

Same here Gordon. Over the years whenever I've gotten into a pinch, theres always been a Studey that seems to have come along and kept me going at just the right time. They are simple/cheap to repair and are reasonably reliable.

Comment

My collector car insurance won't let me drive it daily (and we've had a lot of snow here this winter) but
                                last Monday was the 45th anniversary of my Avanti starting final assembly, I took it out for lunch.

Ran great...

63 Avanti R1 2788
                                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                                63 Avanti R1 2788
                                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                                X