West Coast R3 builder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    There is no "real deal". Every engine was hand built and slightly different. So you're saying any rebuilt R3 or R4 engine is no longer the "real deal"? The engine I pointed out most certainly was a Paxton built serial number B61 GENUINE R3. I guess it's now just a boat anchor scrap metal, because it has been bought back to life after sitting rusted for 20 years?
    My bad.
    Maybe your critic could post pictures of an engine HE has rebuilt himself so we can see his work...

Comment

Maybe he can pick on Ted Harbit, or George Krem....they both have wrenched on R3 engines. I'm an easier target that's for sure. He knows better to go there (as do I).
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

And once again, a perfectly simple and honest request for information deteriorates into a stupid "my old man can beat up your old man" shouting match. This forum is the best, and also the worst. Best because there is such a wealth of information available to any interested party. Worst, because of constant attacks and sniping, and insistence on "I am right", "my way or the hiway" attitudes.

Seems to me that people should be allowed their opinion without being attacked, no matter what side you are on. This is the main reason that I've dropped out of this forum for extended periods, I just get tired of the sniping. Seems to be pretty much the same user ID's involved in attacks a lot of the time.

"Can't we all just get along?"
        Corley

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          Point taken Ken! ....If the original parts are impossible to obtain, or if they have deteriorated to the point where they're unusable, modern replacements make complete sense to use.
          What irks me is folks who go on and on about how much better their new parts are than what the factory originally used.....Whether that's true or not is completely irrelevant,...what's important, I feel, is to label this modern, 'improved' Studebaker engine for what it is...a modern improved Studebaker V8, NOT an R3 or an R4 engine...............Those labels should be reserved for the REAL DEAL!!!
          Write the check, and/or do the work.
          That way YOU can call it whatever you want.

In the meantime- the folks actually writing the checks and/or doing the work are gonna do it their way.

And you know what?
          They're gonna call it whatever THEY want to.
          They earned that right...

Originally posted by Corley View Post
          Seems to me that people should be allowed their opinion without being attacked, no matter what side you are on.
          This is the main reason that I've dropped out of this forum for extended periods, I just get tired of the sniping.
          Seems to be pretty much the same user ID's involved in attacks a lot of the time.
          Yup, yup, and yup.
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Might I suggest that the folks replying to posts they think are trolling/sniping just quit posting to the protagonists reply's. Pretty soon they'll need to answer themselves which takes all the fun out of it.

It seems some of you folks have raised you expectations lately. There's usually only one solution for that. Lower them!!

Bob

Comment

Ha...Corley beat me to it...
              What's with all the crap everyone.

In reality, it boils down to a set of heads, exhaust and intake manifold...period.
              No oiling changes that I've ever heard, a tad higher compression...big deal, all of it.

Just find the parts desired, find a quality shop and write a check...not a big deal.

And performance wise, with the lack of a pair of "good" R3 cylinder heads, a couple of us, in Stude-land can port a standard head to outflow a stock R3 head. So if performance is the desire, finding the aforementioned un-obtanium isn't that big a requirement. If "having" said R3 parts is the big deal...nother story completely.

Mike

Comment

Just came back from a G-R-E-A-T car show in Dedham, Mass!!.....PERFECT New England weather!!!.....And I see that the 'usual suspects' (StudeDave57, sweetolbob, guido) posted their typical B.S. (We can count on THAT crew to ALWAYS try to stir the pot!!)

Just remember this folks...If the engine in question did not originate at Studebaker/Paxton as an R3 or R4 engine....THEN IT ISN'T ONE!!!......I don't know, perhaps the engine in question is ten times more powerful than a Granatelli R3 or R4....however..... IT'S NOT THE REAL DEAL....AND NEVER WILL BE!

It's too bad for all Stude fans that Studebaker folded before more of those engines were produced.......SN-60

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  (We can count on THAT crew to ALWAYS try to stir the pot!! )
                  Re-read the thread Ed.
                  You started 'stirring' first.

Don't like the heat?
                  Stay outta the kitchen.

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

gawd, the OP just wanted someone near him (Washington) to build him a R-3 "tribute" or "clone" type (post #6). does that make make you happy, Ed? i doubt it...
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Mike, The R3 oil pump was taller in the gears than the stock Stude pump. And Jack Vines is just a few hours drive from Dave, so it is a win, win situation.

Comment

If you decide to really step up the performance then ditch the old Paxton and purchase my new Paxton Novi 2000. I also have most of the pieces you will need to make it fit your engine. PM me if interested.
                        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                          gawd, the OP just wanted someone near him (Washington) to build him a R-3 "tribute" or "clone" type (post #6). does that make make you happy, Ed? i doubt it...
                          You're imagining things Kerry...the OP said nothing about a 'tribute' engine!...He asked if someone could build him an 'R3 engine'....and frankly, the original parts needed to build a true R3 are NLA.....He may as well be told that now.

How about trolling somewhere else now Kerry???....PLEASE!!!

Comment

What I assumed when I read the original post is that Stunt was looking for someone to build an engine to R3 specs, no?
                            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                            50 Champion 2 door*
                            53 Commander K Auto*
                            53 Commander K overdrive*
                            55 President Speedster
                            62 GT 4Speed*
                            63 Avanti R1*
                            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                              What I assumed when I read the original post is that Stunt was looking for someone to build an engine to R3 specs, no?
                              Not really Don!....He did not ask if someone could build up a Studebaker engine to 'R3 specs'....What the OP asked is if someone on the west coast could build him an 'R3 engine'....a feat that, in reality, would be next to impossible to accomplish.

And yes, those super-rare original Studebaker R3 type cast iron heads would indeed be the 'key' to the entire project.....Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Stunt View Post
                                Just putting feelers out, for now. But is there anyone reputable on the west coast who could build an R3? Either on this forum, or someone that someone here knows? Pacific Northwest would be most convenient, but anywhere in the west.

Dave
                                I'm having my '57 GH PS engine done by Vellios Machine Shop, in Lawndale Ca.
                                Give Harry a call, talk to him about your needs..........310.643.8540....Tell him Rodney referred you........

Comment

Working...
                                X