Driver side 78 Avanti window motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver side 78 Avanti window motor

I am just about finished with my 1978 Avanti II restoration. I am in need of a used driver side power window motor. My window goes up and down but stops about half way like the motor goes out on overload. If I let it sit for about a minute or help it up by pulling on it, it will go all the way up or down. It has to either be the motor or some kind of overload. I may have mentioned this in a past post but now I really need to get it fixed.
    Does anyone have one for sale or know of someone who can rebuild mine?
    I just posted this on the Avanti Owner's forum as well.
    Avantidave
    1978 Avanti II

Is it the Bosch like used in the early '80s?

Comment

Originally posted by davette59 View Post
      I am just about finished with my 1978 Avanti II restoration. I am in need of a used driver side power window motor. My window goes up and down but stops about half way like the motor goes out on overload. If I let it sit for about a minute or help it up by pulling on it, it will go all the way up or down. It has to either be the motor or some kind of overload. I may have mentioned this in a past post but now I really need to get it fixed.
      Does anyone have one for sale or know of someone who can rebuild mine?
      I just posted this on the Avanti Owner's forum as well.
      call 1880 252 2649, they repaired mine, took about two weeks, located in Florida. Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
        Is it the Bosch like used in the early '80s?
        I believe it may be the Bosch. I am told that the Bosch part was used from the mid 70s to early 80s. This is a two wire model where the earlier was a three wire.
        Avantidave
        1978 Avanti II

Comment

When I was in trade school in the early 80's, I rebuilt the four power window motors in my '67 Chrysler 300. It's not that hard, as you should be able to do it in an afternoon. There are videos on YouTube showing how to do it.
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
            When I was in trade school in the early 80's, I rebuilt the four power window motors in my '67 Chrysler 300. It's not that hard, as you should be able to do it in an afternoon. There are videos on YouTube showing how to do it.
            you could use a mid-70's Mopar 2 wire (gray and purple) if yours is a 2 wire. Most of the parts are the same.
            Rob in PA.

Comment

If you do nothing after the motor stops. Then will the window finish its travel once the circuit breaker resets without you helping it. Or will the circuit breaker trip again.
              Now is it the motor or is the window assembly binding. First I would remove the door panel and watch the linkage as the motor operates. Many times the screws (bolts) that secure the window parts to the door come loose. or the fiberglass panel breaks.
              if the motor is the same as the 63-64 Avanti 4 wire motor they are available from Studebaker International among other vendors.
              Ron

Comment

I have the same type problem with my 84 Avanti. I pulled the regulator and motor and had the motor tested. I was told that at some time the motor overheated and some plastic bushings had melted. Although, they got the motor working, they suggested I replace the motor. The motor is the 2-wire version mentioned in a prior reply. I tried that really old '880' number as I prayed, but it is no longer working. At the suggestion of a fellow ENC SDC member, I tried calling a S. Florida Window Lift company. I never was able to connect with them - none of the telephone numbers worked. I also looked on line at some replacement motors suggested, but all seem to use more than 2 wires. The closest I've come is the 2-wire Mopar mentioned above, but w/o a part number, I'm losing that battle as well. I would like something conclusive where I can put the driver door back together and move on to the other challenges I have with the car.

Comment

Try looking up data on www.studebaker-info.org
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Thank you for the quick response. The information I have is from that website - the text file of many different motors and where they were used. Although there is a lot of data covering many model years, there really wasn't anything I could find that pertained to an '84 model year. One exception being the ARC Remanufacturing reference that once I went there, they mentioned a two wire motor (the one I need), but that was all. I can find numerous 4-wire motors; again, I need a 2-wire. At one time the S. Florida Window Lift company had a 2-wire motor - problem is it appears they have gone out of business. I will call ARC to see if they do carry a 2-wire motor. Avanti never really used a standard parts manufacturer which makes the restoration process longer, more difficult and very expensive.

Comment

I believe I have at least one new one, and several used.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                      X