Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falling Studebaker Prices

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Falling Studebaker Prices

    I've been watching this one for 3 years or longer...he/she finally dropped the price by $1000.00....will it sell this time?

    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6046588985.html
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

  • #2
    My friend Wayne sold the twin to this '54 Land Cruiser, colors and all, to a fellow who lives in Austrailia.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
      I've been watching this one for 3 years or longer...he/she finally dropped the price by $1000.00....will it sell this time?

      https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6046588985.html
      I've been watching this one since before I even decided set out to buy my own Studebaker a couple years ago! Nice example of a model not too many of the general public will probably find desirable.
      Dean Seavers
      Sacramento, CA

      Comment


      • #4
        That 70's velour interior might be stifling sales interest.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

        17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

        Comment


        • #5
          Very true.
          Dean Seavers
          Sacramento, CA

          Comment


          • #6
            Very nice car, well worth the money, just too many doors and auto tranny for me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by voxnut View Post
              I've been watching this one since before I even decided set out to buy my own Studebaker a couple years ago! Nice example of a model not too many of the general public will probably find desirable.
              Exactly, offering to a limited audience. Nice looking car.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL


              LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                I've been watching this one for 3 years or longer...he/she finally dropped the price by $1000.00....will it sell this time?

                https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6046588985.html
                NO. 25 years ago when Mr. Richard Quinn was in Tucson for an auction from Brooks Quinsler. There were several rare cars including a 55 Packard Caribeen, 1937 SS Roadster, several Studebaker's including the 1916 Coupe that was donated to the Museum. Mr. Quinn talked about 1941 Champions and how someone at the time wanted to sell the car for $10,000. Being that Mr. Quinn is the essential 1941 Champion expert, he opined that the best in the world 1941 Champion would not sell for that much money at the time.

                No matter how nice that 1954 is, unless you had an Aunt Fanny or Aunt Minnie that drove one, the pool of interested buyers if very very small to generate that price. Argument could be made it was a low production car. True, but not because or rarity but because unless it was time for a new Studebaker, people bought Ford and Chevy cars. Wayne Carina bought a 1954 Commander because it was a true original car. I doubt very seriously he would have considered this car.

                That being said, my cloudy crystal ball says he will have a unlockable grip on the steering wheel at the price for some time to come. His heirs may sell the car for $7,500 or maybe if the ambient temperature is right, $8,000. IMHO.

                Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ

                Comment


                • #9
                  Personally, I really like the looks of a '54 Land Cruiser, and that one is a worthy enough example. Fortunately for me, I can like such a car without the need to buy it!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    11,500 may be high for the car but if you were looking for one, That is cheaper than restoring one you give a couple grand for.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I can attest to that!
                      Originally posted by jwitt View Post
                      11,500 may be high for the car but if you were looking for one, That is cheaper than restoring one you give a couple grand for.
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                        NO. 25 years ago when Mr. Richard Quinn was in Tucson for an auction from Brooks Quinsler. There were several rare cars including a 55 Packard Caribeen, 1937 SS Roadster, several Studebaker's including the 1916 Coupe that was donated to the Museum. Mr. Quinn talked about 1941 Champions and how someone at the time wanted to sell the car for $10,000. Being that Mr. Quinn is the essential 1941 Champion expert, he opined that the best in the world 1941 Champion would not sell for that much money at the time.

                        No matter how nice that 1954 is, unless you had an Aunt Fanny or Aunt Minnie that drove one, the pool of interested buyers if very very small to generate that price. Argument could be made it was a low production car. True, but not because or rarity but because unless it was time for a new Studebaker, people bought Ford and Chevy cars. Wayne Carina bought a 1954 Commander because it was a true original car. I doubt very seriously he would have considered this car.

                        That being said, my cloudy crystal ball says he will have a unlockable grip on the steering wheel at the price for some time to come. His heirs may sell the car for $7,500 or maybe if the ambient temperature is right, $8,000. IMHO.

                        Bob Miles
                        Tucson AZ
                        It's amazing how far the price must fall when those two extra doors are added to the mix. It's a shame too, cuz it's a dang nice car.
                        sals54

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jwitt View Post
                          11,500 may be high for the car but if you were looking for one, That is cheaper than restoring one you give a couple grand for.
                          We all know that is true. How many people are looking for a 1954 Land Cruiser? Well, that point has been made several times. Still won't sell. Probably not a Studebaker guy and thought well, they don't make them any more so it has to be valuable. It is just like Jim Nance said in 1953 about Packard. "We have not been inspiring enough people to "Ask the Man who owns one" ".

                          If you had $11,500 to buy a car would you buy this car, or a drivable 1955 Speedster on Craigslist for the same money?

                          Bob Miles
                          Tucson AZ

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If we're between the land cruiser and any 55 studebaker car I would buy the 54 land cruiser.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It is my observation at local car shows that younger people don't have the same aversion to 4 doors as people old enough to remember what "hard top" means. I see lots of 4 door Chevys and some 4 door Fords. To the younger folks that own them they are neat old cars and they enjoy them.
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

                              40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

                              * Formerly owned

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X