Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golden Hawk 400 for real and I need your help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    Wrong,..... the Packard V8 is considerably longer than the Stude (about 4").....and that extra length is all GOOD OLD AMERICAN CAST IRON!!
    What is wrong about it?
    Size does not equate to weight. There are different thicknesses involved.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      What is wrong about it?
      Size does not equate to weight. There are different thicknesses involved.
      The "further forward" comment is in error Brad.

Comment

Originally posted by cabforward View Post
        (1) How were engine blocks seralized?
        (2) I am wondering what made them a PS(supercharged yes but when and how did the workers on the line know what to stamp the block) .
        (3) When did they get stamped?
        (4) Was it after assembly or after it was decked.
        (5) Were the engine numbers in order,
        (6) what serial number came after the PS3788. Was it a p or v or???
        I am a manufacturing engineer and this kind of stuff is interesting to me.
        I am a Boeing Co. Aircraft Mfg. Engineer, so I understand your curiosity.
        This is a LOT, but I will attempt it for you.

(1) The Serial Numbers of PS Supercharged ran sequentially WITHIN their own group, No more P's or V's were needed since they already had the "P" President 289 designation, and NO 259 (V) Supercharged Engines were ever built.

(2) I am sure a Paper or Tin "Supercharger" tag would tell them to add all the special parts on Assy and most likely that would be when they got their "PS" Serial, as Gary L. said, THAT we can only guess at, and it matters not really.

Remember that the Blocks of '57 GH's did NOT have ANY Special INTERNAL PARTS, the low compression Heads were it, and are external.
        (3) See #2
        (4) See #2 The "decking" operation was done in the final Machining process and was the same as Non-Supercharged.
        (5) See #1
        (6) Next would be PS3789 (See #1)
        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-19-2016, 04:41 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The advance curve in the distributor was different. All the supercharger bolt on parts must have been installed after the blocks were stamped, or ID'ed as being supercharged.
          Last edited by bezhawk; 12-19-2016, 09:34 PM.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

any idea what the engine is worth?

Comment

good info thanks

Comment

Back in the late 70's I found the remains of what was "probably" a '57 Golden Hawk '400'....it was in a boneyard in Bridgewater, Mass.

The car was a rust bucket, no windshield, and had no drivetrain,...but I clearly remember that it was white with the gold fin inserts, and the front grill 'pans' were also painted the gold fin color.

I know that someone along the line could have simply painted the pans to match the fins, BUT...inside the car was what remained of a saddle colored leather interior. (and at that point the leather was like cardboard!)

Wish I grabbed the 'numbers'...but I didn't!

Comment

Working...
                X