Towing practices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Dick, I needed that!

OK, it's unhook the U joint at the differential and tie/wire the shaft securely in place off to the side. Just to be safe.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars3.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) Project
    '60 Lark VI (Sold, delivery in early Jan.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks, Dick, I needed that!

OK, it's unhook the U joint at the differential and tie/wire the shaft securely in place off to the side. Just to be safe.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars3.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) Project
      '60 Lark VI (Sold, delivery in early Jan.)
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

For a 500 mile trip, I'd definitely suggest taking the driveshaft clear out so it can't somehow fall on the roadway and cause an unfortunate incident(i.e. Murphys' Law). --you reduce drag somewhat, and a column shift car can actually jump into Gear. Lube isn't so expensive that you can't afford to let the transmission drain(into a pan) after you remove the driveshaft. If you don't have a separate yoke to slip in the end, just wrap the tailshaft with a plastic bag and duct tape, to keep road grime and debris from depositing on the splines. Good Luck.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

For a 500 mile trip, I'd definitely suggest taking the driveshaft clear out so it can't somehow fall on the roadway and cause an unfortunate incident(i.e. Murphys' Law). --you reduce drag somewhat, and a column shift car can actually jump into Gear. Lube isn't so expensive that you can't afford to let the transmission drain(into a pan) after you remove the driveshaft. If you don't have a separate yoke to slip in the end, just wrap the tailshaft with a plastic bag and duct tape, to keep road grime and debris from depositing on the splines. Good Luck.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

If the bearing cups (and needle bearings) don't fall off the two loose ends of the rear u-joint when you disconnect it, pull them off, account for all the needles, and stash them someplace safe for the trip.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

If the bearing cups (and needle bearings) don't fall off the two loose ends of the rear u-joint when you disconnect it, pull them off, account for all the needles, and stash them someplace safe for the trip.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I was thinking of wrapping them with duct tape, but I'll talk to the new owner, give him his choice.

Tom

Comment

I was thinking of wrapping them with duct tape, but I'll talk to the new owner, give him his choice.

Tom

Comment

Why can't he tow it from the rear? I am going about 200 miles to pick up a Wagonaire and plan on using a tow dolly and towing it from the rear. As long as the steering wheel is tied there should be no problems. I might be wrong but just a thought.

1963 Cruiser, 1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

Why can't he tow it from the rear? I am going about 200 miles to pick up a Wagonaire and plan on using a tow dolly and towing it from the rear. As long as the steering wheel is tied there should be no problems. I might be wrong but just a thought.

Comment

Thanks, Keith, I'll give them that option.

Tom

Comment

Thanks, Keith, I'll give them that option.

Tom

Comment

Absolutely NO REASON to pull the driveshaft- won't hurt a thing!!

The ONLY time it matters is if it's an automatic- and only then if it doesn't have a rear pump.

As you know, I do it all the time, including back from SB (600+ miles).

You can do what you want; just giving you the facts!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Absolutely NO REASON to pull the driveshaft- won't hurt a thing!!

The ONLY time it matters is if it's an automatic- and only then if it doesn't have a rear pump.

As you know, I do it all the time, including back from SB (600+ miles).

You can do what you want; just giving you the facts!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lincoln77

Towing it front wheels down is not advisable as, if my memory serves correctly, the steering wheel does not lock. Even tying it you will get a lot of wander out of the front end. The other problem is it loads the front suspension and if you had to take any evasive action, all that weight on the front springs could make it even uglier than it would be if you had the lite end of the car down.

As far as pulling the shaft in the first post, if it is stick I dont think you have to pull it. If you tie it up, make sure you use something to hold in the caps. Masking tape works better than duct tape in my personal history as you can cut the tape as it will only really stick to it self. Nothing more frustrating than pulling duct tape off caps, losing the cap because duct tape works and then putting needle berrings back in.

Former owner/owner with Dad:
                                58 Packard Golden Hawk
                                62 Hawk
                                62 Lark
                                63 Lark
                                64 Lark
                                63 Champ

Lakeland, FL

Comment

Working...
                                X