Numbers on rear frame crossmember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbers on rear frame crossmember

I have a '53 coupe and I was told that there may be numbers stamped on the bottom of the rear frame cross member, wold these numbers be the same as the numbers stamped on the engine block or the numbers stamped on the stainless plate on the driver's door support or did they even have numbers back there?

Should be numbers on the passenger side rear crossmember. They should match the numbers on the stainless steel plate if no monkey business has taken place.

Comment

Originally posted by oilnsteel View Post
      Should be numbers on the passenger side rear crossmember. They should match the numbers on the stainless steel plate if no monkey business has taken place.
      Now are these numbers visible from the bottom or the side or maybe the top of the cross member?
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Do not be too disappointed if you do not find them. I have 'restored' a dozen Studebakers over the decades and been a member of Studebaker Owners' Club and SDC for 40 yrs. I have never ever seen a 'secret serial number' and regard it as a myth. Could be they did it for a little while and said "Why bother" and quit. If you find one it will be a rarity!

Comment

I found the stamped serial number on my '62 GT Hawk. They are stamped somewhat lightly, and even though this car spent most of it's life in California then 25 years stored in a dry basement, the stampings were difficult to find.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Should be on the rt side of the rear crossmember as you face the car from the rear. As said stamped very light and if you can find at all or read more that one or two numbers you have done better then most.

Comment

I found them (approximately centered on the rear bottom flange of the rearmost crossmember) on both my '53 Commander and my '56 Golden Hawk, both very legible after a little wire brush activity. Both of my cars are California cars, so that probably helped. I have also seen them on other years and models.
              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

53 in shop is in middle of cross member and it was a Southern car. Have seen others and agree they don't always match up.

Comment

I found what was left on my replacement frame on the rt side facing out. Being it was going on a different title car I just took a grinder to them so everything was gone.

Comment

This the frame number on our '50 Champion. It's on the bottom of the rear cross member.

Perry
                    \'50 Business Champion
                    \'50 Starlight Champion
                    \'60 Lark Convertible,
                    \'63 GT R1,
                    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

When I got into this car I discovered the body had been off the frame. Curious, I checked and not only was I able to read the crossmember ID, but it matched the one on the door post. Astounding for any rusty car in the North East.

Bill
                      http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
                      sigpic

Comment

More above ^

Craig

Comment

I found it to be rather faint as someone else already stated. I'd advise using a rust remover solution over sanding or wire brushing. Anything abrasive will only remove the metal base that the depressed numbers are contrasting against. A clay impression over the area might help to reveal it.
                          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                          X