Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 barrel vs 4 barrel

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2 barrel vs 4 barrel

    I have a 62 Champ pickup that I am putting a rebuilt 259 motor in. It's got a 4 speed on the floor transmission. I have the parts to put either a 2 barrel or a 4 barrel carb on it. Any thoughts to which system would be better?
    Thanks.

  • #2
    If you've got dual exhaust, definitely go with the 4V. I had a stock '59 Lark 2 dr HT, V-8, Auto, dual exh and Carter 4bbl carb. It was quite powerful and smooth to drive.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

    Comment


    • #3
      I would go with the 2 barrel Stromberg. They are easy to work on and reliable. If you need performance the 4 barrel will give a little more power under full throttle, but in normal day to day driving the difference in the two options will not be significant.
      American iron, real old school
      With two tone paint, it sure is cool

      Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
      With an overdrive that just won't stall

      With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
      With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

      Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
      The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

      Tried to sell her, but got no taker
      I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, I should have said that I do have dual exhaust on the truck

        Comment


        • #5
          It's really a toss up, although the factory four barrel units (Carter AFB/WCFB) seem to have less choke related problems.

          Comment


          • #6
            For normal every day driving I would stay with the 2 barrel, the four barrel only comes into play at full throttle and how many time are you going to be there?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              It's really a toss up, although the factory four barrel units (Carter AFB/WCFB) seem to have less choke related problems.
              I've been driving WW Stromberg two barrel carbureted Studebaker V-8s for the past 50 years or so and I have never, ever had any choke issues.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                I've been driving WW Stromberg two barrel carbureted Studebaker V-8s for the past 50 years or so and I have never, ever had any choke issues.
                I like the WW too!..it's a great carb, but I've definitely seen automatic choke problems with them on freezing cold winter mornings here in New England.....The four barrel units aren't immune to choke issues, they just seem to have less of them!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  I like the WW too!..it's a great carb, but I've definitely seen automatic choke problems with them on freezing cold winter mornings here in New England.....The four barrel units aren't immune to choke issues, they just seem to have less of them!
                  Yet another good reason to be living in western Oregon!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                    Yet another good reason to be living in western Oregon!

                    Can't argue with that!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      2 barrel versus a 4 barrel difference? About 10 hp and that's at wide open throttle. We tested this on an drag car and with all 4 it ran 11.30's with back two closed so they wouldn't open ran 11.50's.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        with having both options, i'd go with the 4 barrel. you can keep a lightfoot on the pedal but have a little extra oomph when needed.
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

                        '51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

                        '40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you go with 4, you can try a modern carburetor. A previous owner put a new 4 barrel carb on my 259 Lark and it runs like it was fuel injected. No problems cold and no problems hot. It does seem a bit thirsty, but I have not checked actual mileage figures.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

                          17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            4 barrel all the way!

                            i have an edelbrock on my Champ. Probably doesn't make it any faster, but it sure sounds good when the secondaries come in
                            1962 Champ

                            51 Commander 4 door

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                              4 barrel all the way!

                              i have an edelbrock on my Champ. Probably doesn't make it any faster, but it sure sounds good when the secondaries come in
                              This is also known as converting money into noise!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X