No announcement yet.

Caravan to Indianapolis September '21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It isn’t practical to meet for a caravan since I’m in Florida, but I am planning to drive to Indy in one of my Studes.

My coworker’s ‘47 Land Cruiser is currently on the rotisserie; final assembly is underway. At the rate it’s going, it’ll be done in time for the meet.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ‘47 Land Cruiser at an SDC meet. Certainly not two of them.
    Last edited by mbstude; 05-05-2021, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Bob - Meeting in Montana or Wyoming would be great! I'll stay in touch.
      Randy

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
        Only on this forum:
        Now let's start another four pages here about a MISSING apostrophe this time!

Craig

Comment

Maybe we should set up a seminar at this and other International meets for correct instruction in the English language. If you really want to have a great time correcting language skills, start with the many EBay ads, or for a object lesson on the current state of education, pick any number of Craigslist ads.. Just a supposition: those that are concerned that they are not seeing proper use of language would not find fun in meeting together to discuss our favorite car.

I do hope that Randy and others will continue to post so those members planning on a nice drive to the International meet. Planning stopping points at Hotels or Motels along the way where all of us could meet, share a meal and join together at the meet for activities.

Bob Miles

Comment

Randy,

We think about you often. I always wanted to make that one last trip back to Indiana in a Studebaker. I've been all over the country in a Studebaker, I never gave any consideration to lack of AC or a breakdown. I really have to hand it to you for what you are planning. At our age it's not just a walk in the park! It's gotten to the point that the cars that I have are better able to go the distance then I am, and getting Mary primed for the trip would be a chore. As the saying goes-"there's nothing to it but to do it," but....

Bill

Comment

Does anyone remember any route taken by the Great Race from Indianapolis to Seattle? Was there ever a Great Race taken that direction? I seem to think there was but not sure. Never participated in the Great Race, but a caravan of Studebakers I could deal with. Driving at 55-65 mph with stops, lunch and check ins would be an eight hour day. If anyone does remember a northern Great Race, let me know. Going to the bookstore to pick up an atlas to try and figure out the points to stop.

Bob Miles

Comment

Randy,

Stephanie and I are planning to drive to the meet.
                Keep in touch with your route plans and timing, so we can try to meet up at least part of the route.
                Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Great James! I will.
                  Randy

Comment

Randy,

I have got an Atlas that I can take pictures to plot out the trip.

Question: what time of day do you plan on starting from Seattle? What time do you figure for Lunch? Do you plan on any night driving?

Question: Do you plan on breakfast before start time each day and what time?

Question: what speed do you plan on driving? I drove a 48 Land Cruiser from San Jose to Tucson. I found that 65 was as fast as I felt comfortable. Any faster and the car seemed to be working hard and hotter running.

Let me know and I will plot out stops for gas and food and lodging.

Thanks,

Bob Miles
                    Will come home on Route 66

Comment

See 5/22 post on "Itinerary for Sept '21 drive to Indianapolis meet"
                      I have a detailed list of overnight stops and lodging reservations. No night driving for me. I agree 60 - 65 mph is fast enough. I have to have my coffee in the morning.and like to get on the road about 8am. Like to stop for gas every 200 - 225 miles. Have not plotted gas and lunch stops.
                      Plan to start from Tacoma around 8am.
                      Cheers, Randy

Comment

One thing you want to do is don't push to many miles per day and leave some time here and there to take in some of the sites. After all it supposed to be a fun trip not a race. That's what I hate about traveling with a friend of mine. Its pedal down and stop to pee when you need gas and same thing to eat. Those gas station hot dogs will stay with you for miles.

Comment

Randy, I may be interesting in joining your caravan. I just spent 3 weeks in South Bend helping my siblings get our parents' house ready to sell, so I need to see if I have enough time off and money to make another trip back to Indiana this year. If I go, I'm going to see if my youngest daughter wants to go with me. I think she'd love the road trip, and she might be willing to document the trip for us and share our progress online.

If not this year, I will definitely be shooting for the IM in South Bend in 2022.

Mark
                          Mark L

Comment

swvalcon, that works when you have time and money to spare, but I'm typically one to drive as many miles as I'm comfortable doing in one day. I'm still working full time, so I only have so much vacation time and money to make a cross-country trip. Every extra day driving is an extra day of vacation to use and another $100 for a hotel room. I don't like to camp nor cheap hotels, and I don't have any free places to stay along the way except for my sister's home in Missoula MT. Based on Randy's itinerary, the round trip will cost me an extra $400 and 4 days of vacation compared to what I would normally take to drive from Washington to Indiana.
                            Mark L

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                              One thing you want to do is don't push to many miles per day and leave some time here and there to take in some of the sites. After all it supposed to be a fun trip not a race. That's what I hate about traveling with a friend of mine. Its pedal down and stop to pee when you need gas and same thing to eat. Those gas station hot dogs will stay with you for miles.
                              Gas station hot dogs may not stay with you for miles. You may make an unintended stop (wretch).

Bob Miles
                              My 69 year old stomach knows it is no longer 29 years old.

Comment

I spoke with my youngest daughter, and she wants to make the road trip with me. However, we will not be with the caravan the entire journey. We'll probably meet up with the group heading east after you leave Lincoln, NE. She attended the University of Nebraska in Lincoln a few years ago, and she has a good friend who now lives in Omaha she would like to visit as we pass through.

After the meet, we will be going to South Bend for a few days to visit my parents before turning west.

I'm planning to drive my Lark. I'll be spending this summer getting it ready for the trip.
                                Mark L

Comment

Working...
                                X