This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
    Martin, what's going on under the hood of that 2R? Is that a nuclear reactor or a flux capacitor???
    That truck was the 'hit' of The Pacific Can-Am Zone meet a few years ago.

It's electric!!!
    As seen Saturday afternoon~

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9377.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1723555
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Wouldn't the box space be used up just carrying all the batteries?

Comment

I have more of this Electric driven 2R5 on my camera.
        Here 2 more pic from the "Battery-Compartment"

Name:	20180830_005021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1723561Click image for larger version

Name:	20180830_005012.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1723562

Comment

Thanks David (altair) for posting the nice pictures of our Studebakers Northwest LOGO and our Huge outdoor swapmeet space, the one with the Cargo Van and Tent.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            Wouldn't the box space be used up just carrying all the batteries?
            After seeing the pics of the truck bed, looks like a little less than a third of the space is used for the batteries. Of course, who's really concerned about this trucks "bed capacity," at this point? I would say that the experiment, customizing, and for nothing more than the "cool factor"...practical truck use is secondary.

My questions are more toward performance, like speed, acceleration, and range? Also, with all the batteries in the bed, what is the purpose of that lone marine battery box under the hood? With the weight of those batteries, how much of the truck's officially rated load capacity remains? What kind of drivetrain is involved? Is it direct drive, or is there a transmission? In addition to the batteries, are there plans to add solar panels to the remaining bed space to extend the range?

It is very appropriate that a Studebaker is constructed and modified in this way since the company has a history (1902) of electric powered vehicles.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It is a really well-done project. The wiring and engineering appear professional. IIRC, it uses a direct drive forklift motor and has an estimated 60-mile range around town. Highway speeds drain the battery bank quickly.

BTW, both of Gary's trucks are for sale; so those who think the electric is so cool, now's your chance to own it.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                After seeing the pics of the truck bed, looks like a little less than a third of the space is used for the batteries. Of course, who's really concerned about this trucks "bed capacity," at this point? I would say that the experiment, customizing, and for nothing more than the "cool factor"...practical truck use is secondary.

My questions are more toward performance, like speed, acceleration, and range? Also, with all the batteries in the bed, what is the purpose of that lone marine battery box under the hood? With the weight of those batteries, how much of the truck's officially rated load capacity remains? What kind of drivetrain is involved? Is it direct drive, or is there a transmission? In addition to the batteries, are there plans to add solar panels to the remaining bed space to extend the range?

It is very appropriate that a Studebaker is constructed and modified in this way since the company has a history (1902) of electric powered vehicles.
                Yes, John; there is a conventional three-speed, column-shifted transmission behind the forklift motor. Note the shift rods and linkages visible in the one photo. I'm not sure how you "shift" it, though; there doesn't appear to be a clutch as we know it.

Sadly, I was not around the truck at the appropriate time to talk to the owner/builder. It certainly was an interesting, well-done project. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

More modern batteries like from a Prius would extend the range, and INCREASE the load capacity being a bit lighter. This truck was done a bit prior to them being available. Solar panels would be nice, but are only good enough to 'float charge' a small battery and not practical on an electric car. A stand alone battery is needed on most electric cars, all of these questions are basic 'google them' type of questions if you are interested in how electric cars work...

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                    More modern batteries like from a Prius would extend the range, and INCREASE the load capacity being a bit lighter. This truck was done a bit prior to them being available. Solar panels would be nice, but are only good enough to 'float charge' a small battery and not practical on an electric car. A stand alone battery is needed on most electric cars, all of these questions are basic 'google them' type of questions if you are interested in how electric cars work...
                    Extend the range? A Prius only has 25 miles of battery range. OTOH the battery pack from a Bolt or Tesla would give 250 miles of range in an E5.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1723564It appears the post office used the cargo vans

Comment

I thought it was a postal van my error.

Comment

Yes, like I said. Google it.