This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointments at International meet

Well, I, for one, had some disappointments at the International meet in South Bend

1. I was disappointed that I chose to not participate in the parade. We finished the ASC tour and the '35 Commander performed as well as I had hoped. We looked at the line-up of cars waiting to start the parade and were afraid that if we got downtown we would not be able to get away before dark and I haven't driven that car after dark yet.

2. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to the museum for the ASC auction.

For those of you that know my sarcastic nature and different sense of humor, (Gotcha with the title to the thread) these two events were both a lot of fun and I really ought to describe my "disappointments" as "lost opportunities". I had a great time at the events I did get to. I did not see anyone who seemed to be truly unhappy and I personally didn't hear any serious complaining. I saw and talked to folks I only see once a year (sometimes only once every five years in South Bend) and that was the best part of the meet.

Now for a couple of things that might be considered "concerns"

1. I think I took pictures of every vehicle on the show field on Saturday. Towards the end of the day I realized that I had not seen many fire extinguishers displayed. I wasn't going to walk the field again, so I just looked at about 15 cars closest to where I was parked. Less than half had fire extinguishers in view inside the car. I looked at all my pictures today and could only see two vehicles other than my own with extinguishers displayed under the driver's side tire. What happened to that requirement?

2. No registration opportunity at the fairgrounds (unless I missed it) meant that as far as the SDC is concerned, I was a no-show. I never made it downtown. I pre-registered and paid
    in advance, but why pay for parking to get a goody bag?

In any case, I had a great time and thank you to the Michiana chapter. I've been to many other Internationals in my 40 years of SDC membership, but South Bend is always special for me.

Tom

Last year I attended our show in Warwick, Rhode Island. I found it to be an excellent gathering, and I experienced two disappointments, one of which was my own fault for not paying attention to the schedule. I arrived on the Thursday of the show and displayed my Sky Hawk, and then saw some wonderful cars. That night there was a buffet dinner at which the offerings were so vile that it was better suited for a hog trough. but not the rust-prone ones on Avantis. The next day i thought I was going to show the car again, but there were bust trips scheduled all day. As I chose not to go on them, that would have left me with basically nothing to do. i had a ticket to the Awards dinner that night, but after that awful "barfate," and not wanting to have to stay another night, I left. This was not the organizer's fault, as they did a great job. Nonetheless, I did enjoy the trip there and got some nice T-shirts for my grandsons.
    peter lee

Comment

I, too, paid to preregister but didn't get in until Fri. evening, staying in nearby Elkhart. Got up early and went to host hotel to get my registration packet(?) but found an empty room where I was told registration was. Very disappointed in the time and money I wasted there. Apparently registration to attend was not necessary. Also very disappointed that I missed Fri. parade and street show. Didn't know about it. Sounds like it was fun. Concourse Sat. was a little chilly but thankfully dry. Too bad host hotel and fairgrounds weren't a little closer. Not a big deal, just saying. Great turnout of cars on display.

Comment

This was my first IM, but certainly not my last. Highlights for me included the Friday evening parade, which I watched instead of participating in...and thoroughly enjoyed. The Proving Grounds was a bucket list item that I can now check off. Although some people were unpleased with the almost two-hour delay in starting and the slow pace car, our group did NOT have a pace car and some of us put the pedal to the metal.
        Sorry I probably will not be able to attend the 2018 in Washington State. The Pacific Northwest is dripping with great Studebaker deals!
        Mike Davis
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

We attended our first IM this year in South Bend. The cold weather notwithstanding, we had a great time with the SDC museum and accompanying tour of the Oliver mansion being highlights. The time looking over the vendor wares, the parade, and Saturday's car show were somewhat tempered by the cold, but still were great. We plan to show our one-of-a-kind '53 the next time we attend.
          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Tomlewis:
            1. I think I took pictures of every vehicle on the show field on Saturday. Towards the end of the day I realized that I had not seen many fire extinguishers displayed. I wasn't going to walk the field again, so I just looked at about 15 cars closest to where I was parked. Less than half had fire extinguishers in view inside the car. I looked at all my pictures today and could only see two vehicles other than my own with extinguishers displayed under the driver's side tire. What happened to that requirement?
            I noticed the lack of fire extinguisher's as well & I should have had Bob announce the fact over the loudspeakers, but I didn't. I hope that judging took them into their scoring system rules (NO EXTINGUISHER... NO JUDGOING) However this is the first year & it takes folks a while to change their routines. I will mention it to each owner I see at any other meet I go to this year. Give them an "ata boy" for having one by the LF wheel & asking them where theirs is if I do not see it.

Comment

Working...
            X