No announcement yet.

Anyone have a 232 punched out to a 289?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Anyone have a 232 punched out to a 289?

Just curious if they are out there....

Well, Yes and no. First short stroke 232 I built was 3 9/16" bore and 2 13/16" stroke on a 232 block. Put a 289 crank in it and you have 289.

Comment

Looking in the spark plug holes I see dished pistons, and stroke seems to be about 4 inches, minus the spark plug hole and the piston 'dish' I get a 289 stroke, roughly speaking. I know what I'm looking at, just curious if anyone else has done this, or has one....... I'm about to replace the fuel pump / cam eccentric, and replace the timing cover with a later style, so I can run a real fuel pump, that is, if they replaced the cam with a modern one.... I have an R1 cam if this one does not already have it. It runs like a lizzard on hot sand already. I put 3 different 232 F pumps on this thing and they do not work.....

This is a 232 block, with 289 pistons and some later model heads 1555294 Quite the mix, I cant wait to go drive this thing....

Comment

Mike, If that is my former engine I was told when I bought it that it had a 289 crank. Never knew if it was true.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

And it has a thin head gasket....

Comment

Don, yes it seems so. It runs like an angry elk, and it leaves its mark, all the same. Never seen one drip, blow, and leak so much oil! I dare say it was 'raced' a bit. It has 4.54 gears out back...... Trying to figure a rebuild plan........ It is a 289, JUst not sure how 'good' they made it.

Comment

Your dad has a letter I got from Dwain Grindinger about it.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...