Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 3E7 Truck spring mystery

Hi All,

My well used 1957 truck has rear leaf springs with 10 leaves. No 10 leaf springs are listed in the parts catalog for a 1957 half ton, the only listing is for part number 1693362, which is for a 6E 10 and 12. The rear spring hanger has had its rivets removed
    and is bolted on. Evidently some parts switching has taken place.

This truck is a working truck. I do not care how it rides. I care about payload.

I have attached pictures. The springs are tired. Has someone put 3/4 ton Champ truck springs on it? What part number do I order? SI has 1693361x springs on sale.

Thanks
    Jim

The only reason to remove springs as I can think is: R/A work, bushing replacement, broken spring.... or more likely to change out leaves for a softer ride. I have never seen those blocks on the "2nd stage" spacers. They appear to force a full compact through all leaves for a sometimes "fuller" suspension. I believe in the later light trucks, you typically ride on 2 leaves until loaded. I always liked a few 100 lbs out back for that "blocked" effect. I don't think the frames or the R/A's are the same between 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks, so you may be asking for trouble. Not to mention brakes with a fuller load. But more importantly: you've got a 60 year old truck... don't ask it to do hard, 21st century work and get away with it. You might be able to talk a good game down at the feed store or landscaping yard... but eventually a light duty truck will give in. I recently snapped axle tubes on my 53' 1/2 ton. I believe it was due to overuse. When I got the truck, it had H.D. helper springs out back and a very well used trailer hitch. The fact that I hauled a few ton of crushed bank and later 5 tons of mulch didn't help things much. But I'm boasting about how a lost a R/A overusing it. Calamity is just down the road when you ask for more than something was engineered for in the 50's. GL. (SUNDAY RANT !)

Comment

Didn't we cover this same question in this thread? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=1693361x
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

You have more homework to do on your suspension. Sounds like someone cobbled up the rear springs with what was available from a Stude shop or other. Studebaker, with weak truck sales along the way, mismatched different years, models, etc... to empty surplus (N&A / Standard Surplus). Many systems were mutted up and drove parts' houses crazy. You had to have updated factory part' books to stay current..... GL take some more pictures if needed and present here ... I personally like these parts' chasing mysteries myself .....
        Last edited by jackb; 02-20-2017, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Every medium-sized town or better used to to have a spring shop that could and did put custom springs together or add/modify leaves in the existing springs. My car is running rear springs built 30 years ago for it to replace the broken factory leaves. Unless you find NOS you will probably have to do the same thing and get a custom spring pack built. Or get add-a-leaf helper springs and do it yourself.

Comment

All good comments above. The OEM springs in most Stude trucks are pretty tough -- most of us have opted to remove a leaf or two or replace the whole set for a softer ride. Your existing springs were used and abused for 60 years -- it will take quite a while to damage a new set to that condition.

So I guess I would suggest: (1) As suggested above, check on having your existing springs repaired locally, (2) See if you can get a good used set of HD springs from someone like Vern Ediger on the Stude Truck Talk forum, or (3) Just buy a new set from SI. It'll be the shipping cost that kills you anyway.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

re-reading your original post, I see the comment "payload". If true, buy some new springs and get the right hangers from Vern E. or here on forum...

Comment

Working...
              X