'57 Silver Hawk, A Family Tradition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: '57 Silver Hawk, A Family Tradition

I've decided to start a thread to try and keep me on track for the next few months as I build my 1957 Silver Hawk's engine to its fullest potential. I've been an SDC member for a little while now but I mostly just read the forums looking for helpful hints. I've been a mechanic my whole life, professionally for 15 years, and a pretty decent fabricator.

First, I feel a little back story is in order. In 1980 my dad rescued a reasonably solid 57 Hawk from a local salvage yard and began the job of getting it back on the road. Money was tight and the bare minimum was done to get the car running and driving. The 259 was pulled, pistons beat out with hammer and chisel, block bored .040 (a cylinder sleeved). He sourced a 289 crank and rods,cleaned up the heads and put it all back together. At the time it was hard to find a decent Studebaker 3 speed so he did the only logical thing, take some measurement sand find something else that would work. That just happened to be a Chrysler A833 4 speed out of a big block car. He had a machine shop whip up a 3/4"adapter plate and Viola, drivetrain done. It didn't take long for dad to decide this car needed a supercharger so he searched around and bought what he thought at the time was a set up for a Golden Hawk. Turns out it was a VS57 kit for a yet undetermined engine. Maybe someone out there can help me ID those parts someday. I have since sourced everything I need except for a Golden Hawk crank pulley and spacer.

Now there were a few big holes inthe floor, nothing a couple old stop signs and some scrap duct work from thejob site can't fix. Now Dads no body man and considering the car had been onits roof at one time or another, it actually came out pretty good. I guess with enough determination, a torch, and wet rag you can fix even the most out of shape roof shells. He needed a parts car to get few missing pieces and found arough '59 that just so happened to have this amazing 90+ louvered hood on it .One of my favorite parts of the car, other than every time you wash it you have to polish the engine again.

After trading some drywall work for a paint job the car was as good as it was going to get for the next 25 orso years. So from 1982 until somewhere around 2005 the car was only brought outa few times year to go to a couple car shows or to take for a short drive and that was fine. In 2007 my dad decided he might need to sell the Studebaker to make room for a couple other projects. Well I have as much love for this car ashe did and there was no way it was going anywhere so I asked the wife how much she would let me spend on the family treasure. Instead of selling me the car dad told me to just take it home and put it in my garage, as long as I was willing to finish all the little things that had been pushed to the back burner and finally getting that blower bolted on. The car I had spent my entire childhood helping put together and sitting in the basement jamming gears and making Varoom sounds was coming home with me. Well it's been a few years now and I have done some things, mostly suspension and brakes. Now it's time to get to the important stuff.

I hope this isn't too much of a story but I wanted to get it all out there. My did has built several cars over the years and continues to today, he just brought home an all original '55 New Yorker with a running 331 Hemi last week. Cars/trucks have come and gone but the Stude has always stayed and always will. I'm going to have plenty of questions to ask on what route to take as I try to get this thing ironed out and back together.
    -Adam F

All I can say is "Make your Dad proud and have fun in the process!!!"

I just finished a '59 Silver Hawk for my daughter and she loves the car. She's only 17, she says that people can't stop staring at the car as she drives back and forth to school!!

Treblig

Comment

Great story, thanks for posting. I'll watching for your progress reports!
      Nick

Comment

Good for you and your Dad for saving the "Family Treasure" with all that history this long!

Interesting story, and it's OK to be a little long winded sometimes to get all the facts out.

The one thing I did not see is, when the 259 to 289 change was done I am assuming that more than the Crankshaft and Rods were changed.
        The Rods are all the same so not necessary to change, however the Pistons are NOT the same, a 289 would need Dished Pistons if going back to the stock approx. 8.5 to 1 Compression.
        The Wrist Pin Locations being different for the longer stroke, requires them, just making sure someone knew that.

By the way, all U.S. built and sold '57 Silver Hawks originally HAD 289 Engines from the Factory, so yours must have had a 259 transplant before you got it.

Welcome to the SDC, and to the SDC Forum.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mocked up the supercharger just to check for hood clearance. Looks like I should have a good inch of clearance everywhere I checked. Does that sound right for a standard hawk hood? Also got the engine disassembled. As expected everything looks fine.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	enigine  pic.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1709807Click image for larger version

Name:	driveline out.JPG
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	1709808Click image for larger version

Name:	engine dis.JPG
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	1709810

Only thing I don't care for is the the crank is .020 on rods and mains, and will probably need cleaned up. Any problem with going .030 on a supercharged engine?
          Attached Files
          -Adam F

Comment

Very nice Life for this Car, looks like the Silver Hawk will have some "Golden" thrown under the Hood
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by Sbaker57 View Post
              /Cut/ Does that sound right for a standard hawk hood? Also got the engine disassembled. As expected everything looks fine./Cut/
              According to a very recent Post here by someone who has done it, the front of the longer McCullough VS-57 Supercharger will hit the hood on a '62 Hawk and the Paxton SN-60 being shorter will not.
              I can't think of any reason why a '57 would have any more clearance than a '62, they have the same Hood.

You can gain just about a 1/2 inch more clearance using the R3 Front Engine Mounts, but usually still not enough.

Have you tried the Clay on the Top of the S/C trick, and lightly setting the Hood down yet?
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What StudeRich said in Post #7, Adam: A stock V8 setup with 1957-style supercharger mount and drive, which you appear to have, will not clear the underside of a stock 1957 Silver Hawk hood unless you use the shorter R3 engine mounts...and if you do, be prepared to deal with potential driveline vibration issues until you sort out the location of the center carrier bearing for the two-piece driveshaft, in that you will have changed the driveline geometry ever so slightly. (There might not be a problem after all, but if there is, that's where you'll want to start looking.)

This sounds like a worthy and interesting project; go for it! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I thought I had read that before, hence the hole in the Golden Hawk hood, but couldn't really find a solid answer by searching again. I already had the hood off and didn't feeling like trying to get it back on by the time I thought about the mock up so I did the best I could with a level and tape. I'll get it one way or another. The angle change isn't such a big deal since I'm going to keep the Chrysler trans, with it's extreme length I have a one piece driveshaft anyhow and can make minor angle adjustments if needs be.
                  -Adam F

Comment

I was preparing my heads for shipment to Jack Vines for some valve work and an R2+ cam. I had not paid much attention to the cam when I pulled everything apart but Holy Cow! I know there isn't much meat on Studebaker cams but I'm pretty sure this one my not be a usable core for the cam I plan ordering. My dad said it was the cam that came out of the motor and he "had a guy check it" and it was in spec at the time. Either way at least I have another for a core.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cam pic.JPG
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1709983
                    -Adam F

Comment

Should I avoid going .030/.030 on my crankshaft? I do have a std. size crank, but it is out of a 63 full flow with the longer snout. I don't want to run in to pulley alignment problems down the road.
                      -Adam F

Comment

The long nose late '62-'64 Crank can easily be converted with a spacer to use on an earlier engine and setup, if it IS the same stroke I would prefer that.

I am just one those that do not go over .020 undersize on Cranks, probably just overkill though.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi,

I put a VS57 blower on my Silver Hawk. See my post at:

-Click image for larger version

Name:	57 Hawk Supercharged b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1713529

-Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X