Hole in firewall of 57 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Hole in firewall of 57 Golden Hawk

Hello! In our 57 Golden Hawk, there is a factory oblong hole in the firewall behind the heater control valve. We don't know what it is for, and we are wondering if there is a grommet to plug it up. As it is now, when the car is driven, hot air blasts throught the hole onto the passenger's legs. During the summer months, it quickly becomes unbearable. We would rather plug it correctly than us having to rig something up (grin). Thanks for any help here!

pictures would be a help
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

If you are referring to that large oblong hole in the far Rt. (passenger side) of the cowl, that would be for the heater thermostatic valve. The only 'seal' Studebaker used around that valve mounting hole was grey Mortite caulking cord. It looked similar to what you can buy at Lowes, HD, etc. https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-B2.../dp/B000LNODSQ

IF ...you wanted to do a pro-looking job you might want to get some of this: http://upstartautoparts.com/3m-08578...FU08gQodI6wIiA

Like others have stated, a few pics. would be great!
      Last edited by 56Golden; 09-20-2016, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Did you not put the control valve end through this hole? Only the thermostatic part is inside, and the hoses protrude through on the engine side.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Sounds like the heater control valve is installed inside out. Doofus

Comment

Curiosity got me out to my 53 coupe which has same hole in fire wall.it sounds like the valve has been mounted in front of hole,the flange on the valve is 2 1/2x 3 3/4 and is designed to block the hole when heater hose comes through hole and thermostatic control is mounted inside the cabin. the valve is designed to be mounted from the inside i believe as it is held in place by 2 sheet metal from the engine compartment side. Luck, ,Doofus

Comment

What Bez and doofus said. But we really need pictures to understand what you are dealing with here - maybe some sort of non-OEM heater valve?

Where in North Carolina are you?
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                What Bez and doofus said. But we really need pictures to understand what you are dealing with here - maybe some sort of non-OEM heater valve?

Where in North Carolina are you?
                We are at Mark Jacobson Toyota in Durham. Mark has a classic car collection here.
                Last edited by JLau; 09-21-2016, 05:33 AM.

Comment

What you guys are saying makes sense. I am not a mechanic, I manage a classic car collection. This car was purchased prior to my coming aboard. But the tech has said that the car was a mess when he got it. The supercharger was gone, and it was decided that it would be too expensive to put one back in. Instead, the tech rebuilt what was there using the correct parts. He re-wired the entire engine compartment using 1957 technology, so it now looks like original wiring. I am having trouble with my email this morning. It is not receiving photos from my phone or other peoples' phones. I will post photos as soon as I get this straightened out.

Comment

While getting my 54 Conestoga cleaned up to become a daily driver, I welded up 31 various, unused, "factory stamped holes" in the firewall and floor..! And a couple that were used that were no longer required.

Mike

Comment

The photo finally made it to my email. Here it is.Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Control Valve.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1709213

Comment

Thats the wrong heater valve. It should be a Ranco thermostatic valve. That is for 58-61 type.Click image for larger version

Name:	3125537r.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1709216
                        Here is what your car should have had.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thank you! I should have known that this would be child's play for you guys!

Comment

That Heater Control valve is the 1958 Type, not used on '57's.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Does the 58 have the oblong hole?
                              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              That Heater Control valve is the 1958 Type, not used on '57's.
                              sigpic
                              58 Golden Hawk
                              DSamborski
                              Pillager, MN

Comment

Working...
                              X