Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have suggestions to replace (or HAVE) this rear-spring rubber bumper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Anyone have suggestions to replace (or HAVE) this rear-spring rubber bumper?

hi,
    before sandblasting my frame, I removed the rear-spring's rubber "rebound" bumper, and they are rotten enough that they started splitting as I took them off. I also wasn't too careful doing so, as I figured I had a new set; WRONG, I have the front coil spring bumpers; look almost identical but almost an inch bigger.
    SI and Southwest Stude don't have them. Per my 1961 version of the Chassis Parts Catalog, my 57H Golden Hawk should have bumper #15405080.
    SI has only 540333, listed for other models but not 57H (except D-P; station wagons?). On SI, I believe it simply comes up as for "52-55 cars"..... They didn't think it would work though.

Here are photos; anyone have a set? Google search netted nothing for that number. Or, anyone know if the other one (no photo on SI site) is similar enough to simply trim a bit (or use as it)?
    IF all else fails, I'll have to use rubber glue where they are starting to split along that "T" seam, and bolt them back on I guess.
    Thanks!!
    Barry
    Click image for larger version

Name:	spring bumper photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1751645Click image for larger version

Name:	spring bumper diagram.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1751646
    (part 1521-1A on diagram). 2" in length, 3/8" high.

I got them last fall while restoring an Avanti chassey at SI in South Bend. They are not listed in my 2014 catalog.

Comment

Jim went and looked, called back and said "nope, try Southwest" (also had none). There is some confusion in part numbers apparently though, so wondered if anyone seeing this may have found this same part under a different number (or again, that the ones that ARE available are useable or adaptable)

Comment

I'd contact Valerie Hansen. If she doesn't have them perhaps she has had inquiries & will make some. (615) 356-7510
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
          hi,
          before sandblasting my frame, I removed the rear-spring's rubber "rebound" bumper, and they are rotten enough that they started splitting as I took them off. I also wasn't too careful doing so, as I figured I had a new set; WRONG, I have the front coil spring bumpers; look almost identical but almost an inch bigger.
          SI and Southwest Stude don't have them. Per my 1961 version of the Chassis Parts Catalog, my 57H Golden Hawk should have bumper #15405080.
          SI has only 540333, listed for other models but not 57H (except D-P; station wagons?). On SI, I believe it simply comes up as for "52-55 cars"..... They didn't think it would work though.

Here are photos; anyone have a set? Google search netted nothing for that number. Or, anyone know if the other one (no photo on SI site) is similar enough to simply trim a bit (or use as it)?
          IF all else fails, I'll have to use rubber glue where they are starting to split along that "T" seam, and bolt them back on I guess.
          Thanks!!
          Barry
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]57989[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]57990[/ATTACH]
          (part 1521-1A on diagram). 2" in length, 3/8" high.
          Too many digits in that part number. Should be 1540508. Try Tom Karkiewicz 574-two ate seven–5834. He has/had 200+ Studebakers many which he parted out and kept those smaller now-hard-to-find parts many others just scrapped.

Comment

thanks guys, I'll try both of those folks. Can probably make mine servicable but hate to put them back on a freshly painted frame!
            (and my extra zero was a typo only here on my post; my post-it note has the correct number 1540508
            (ie: unfortunately I was asking SI and Southwest for the correct number :-(

Comment

Check with Energy suspension parts inc.com They have a lot of universal parts listed. They also make the pads for the body mounts and the dust covers for the tie rod end. Both in red and black.Steve.

Comment

thanks; Tuesday I'll make a few calls.
                Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                Check with Energy suspension parts inc.com They have a lot of universal parts listed. They also make the pads for the body mounts and the dust covers for the tie rod end. Both in red and black.Steve.

Comment

Give Steele Rubber Co. a call.... http://www.steelerubber.com/contact

Searching their web catalog, I found these... They look close.

Bumper, air suspension rear axle impact. Located on frame rail. Rubber only, does not include metal retaining clips or bolts.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You may also want to take a look at Si catalog on page 272. And give them a call on their part number 433812. They have a bumper pad for the 58-64 hawks that look real close and may not be perfect but sure looks like it would work. Only $ 12 each which isn't bad.

Comment

thanks; several good options here. They don't have to be exact, just close and have that T-slot, so should be able to find something close to the right height here....
                      Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                      You may also want to take a look at Si catalog on page 272. And give them a call on their part number 433812. They have a bumper pad for the 58-64 hawks that look real close and may not be perfect but sure looks like it would work. Only $ 12 each which isn't bad.

Comment

Also 537461, bumper upper control arm, is made like that.

Comment

yeah, didn't look it up but you mean the same shape bumpers for the front end, right? THOSE are the ones I already have, and why I was not careful removing these (thought I had a new set; look the same). But comparing, the front-end control arm bumpers are about a full inch longer!!! I was hoping they were close to dug them out to check. :-)
                          I have found a pair I think; a PM from someone who thinks he has a set, so I think all is well! Thanks again for everyone who posted with ideas and tips/references!
                          Barry

Comment

Working...
                          X