Spitting Water out the Exhaust/GT R2 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Spitting Water out the Exhaust/GT R2 Hawk

an equal amount out of each pipe....so what do you think the problem is?

Cracked Block?
    Cracked Head?
    Head Gasket?
    What else could it be?

After warming up the engine, spitting stops.... could a head gasket reseal itself as it warms?
    Checked the water level...it was down about a quart and a half.
    Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 08-08-2016, 12:41 PM.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Retorque the head bolts.

Do a leakdown test on each cylinder, watching for bubbles in the radiator.

Do a pressure test on the cooling system, listening for leaks in each cylinder.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I was going to say condensation until you said that the water level was down. You may have a problem only on one side and the crossover in the intake manifold is distributiing the water to both sides. Of course, it may be a problem on both sides. There aren't many places that coolant can get into the exhaust. Fisrst, look at your oil condition/level. Then do a compression check and record each cylinder.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I would still consider condensation. If the coolant was entering the exhaust you wouldn't see any water spitting from the tail pipe, just steam. Sample the liquid and see if it contains any ethylene glycol. You should be able to smell it or you can taste it by a drop on your finger and on your tongue, it will taste sweet. Don't swallow. In areas of high humidity spitting water is common. Because you reported that the coolant was down may be from another cause, check all the hoses and fittings.

Comment

You can also do a cooling system combustion gas test. Kits are available to do the test yourself or most radiator shops and garages can do the test for you. If the test shows combustion gas in the cooling system, then there is an internal leak in the engine such as a bad head gasket or a crack in the block or heads. Bud

Comment

I would put some exhaust gas test dye in the cooling system and pressure test the system, with spark plugs out. If you have a pressure loss over a few hours, you should be able to see moisture in the cylinder either with a bore scope or a dentist mirror. Are you using E10 gas? Lots more condensation in exhaust it appears, to me anyway. Usually a head gasket will show "steam" and leave a residue on tailpipe tips you can feel and smell due to the antifreeze burning and doesn't stop after awhile, just keeps coming. Another consideration, as I have experienced this, found no leaks, no dye test results, and wondered where the "vapor" came from. Checked the master cylinder-found brake fluid disappearing, being sucked into intake through the Booster, and showing up as what I though was water vapor in exhaust. It was intermittent and I didn't find it till the booster was shot.
            Last edited by karterfred88; 08-09-2016, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post

Cracked Block?
              Cracked Head?
              Head Gasket?
              What else could it be?

After warming up the engine, spitting stops.... could a head gasket reseal itself as it warms?
              I have lots of water coming out of tail pipes here in Wi. a high Humidity state. In my case it is just water.
              don

Comment

California is dryer than a bone from mid March to the first of November. My other two Studies don't do this?
                Originally posted by GTHawk View Post
                I have lots of water coming out of tail pipes here in Wi. a high Humidity state. In my case it is just water.
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

There is a kit that is used in the radiator that checks for carbon in the coolant, if memory serves me right. basically if there is a combustion leak into the cooling system it leaves a carbon trace in the coolant. It is a simple test and will eliminate a head gasket leak of cracked head pretty quickly. It isn't the end all but it does a pretty good job, i've used/ owned one for many years.

Comment

California is dryer than a bone from mid March to the first of November. My other two Studies don't do this?
                    I think it's condensation, my R2 Avanti does the same thing, summer or winter, humid or dry. If it doesn't "smell" it's not burning coolant. My 2013 Mustang GT does the same thing until it's been running for quite awhile, as does my wife's 2014 GMC all running E10 gas. If you see a big loss in coolant level, put some dye in the system.
                    Just a thought--what kind of mufflers on the R2, do they have drain holes in them, and are they unplugged and lower on the drain hole ends, when you park it do you park so that can drain, ie. front end uphill?
                    Last edited by karterfred88; 08-10-2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I am guessing you do not have a problem as you report water from both pipes. Hard to imagine both head gaskets failing at the same time. Glycol in the exhaust would be white smoke, not water. Be sure there is no glycol in crankcase (very, very Bad). Lots of water can condense in the pipes overnight. Keeps Midas happy. Try starting it some warm morning when the overnight low has not reached the dewpoint. Bet there is no water

Comment

Cracked Block?
                        Cracked Head?
                        Head Gasket?
                        What else could it be?

an old mechanic (my dad) told me years ago that an automobile engine makes a gallon of water for each gallon of gasoline burned. They all drip from exhaust pipe when first started . After warmed up water evaporates in the exhaust pipe &muffler . then condenses upon cooling & drips out of the drain hole in muffler. (if it's not plugged) Keep that drain hole open and you will buy less mufflers.

Comment

My Studes have always done the same as the OP's. It goes away in a few miles. I did not know mufflers have drain holes. Maybe that is what's missing in my life

Comment

"I did not know mufflers have drain holes."
                            Me neither!
                            But in the late 1970's when I worked at a VW/Mercedes shop it was standard practice after replacing one of those big round MB mufflers to drill a small drain hole in the bottom rear. Made a tiny bit more noise but made the muffler last a LOT longer.

Comment

check this out http://mechanics.stackexchange..com/questions/11315
                              Last edited by studebaker champ; 08-11-2016, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X