No announcement yet.

Help identifying this master cylinder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Help identifying this master cylinder.

This is the master cylinder that was on my 1963 cruiser when I bought it. I am sure it's not original, but it needs to be rebuilt and I don't know which kit to order. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	1751237
    Attached Files
    Mike Kelly
    Regional Manager
    Texas
    1963 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Fairly common AMC master cylinder used in the 60s and early 70s. Depending on brand, part number would be 56193 or 36237. Used with a prefix such as MC 36237. Probably easier and just not much more money to get a complete new master cylinder rather than a kit.

Comment

I found my master cylinder using the part numbers that you supplied, thank you so much. I am installing a disk brake conversion kit on my 63 cruiser and I hope that this master cylinder or a new one like it will work with them.
      Mike Kelly
      Regional Manager
      Texas
      1963 Lark Cruiser
      1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Mrkelly View Post
        I am installing a disk brake conversion kit on my 63 cruiser and I hope that this master cylinder or a new one like it will work with them.
        If your car was drum brakes, and assuming the correct dual chamber m/c was retrofitted for those drum brakes, it will have a residual pressure valve in it. That is correct for drum brakes, but NOT for disc brakes. You will need to either disassemble your current m/c and disable the residual pressure valve, or get a dual chamber master cylinder made for disc brake cars.

The very best thing to do is to consult the company that you are purchasing the disc brake conversion from. If they are a knowledgeable bunch (ie, like Jim Turner at Turner Brake) they can advise you about what to do with your master cylinder, and recommend potential replacements that will work correctly with the conversion. If they are not a knowledgeable bunch and can't help you.......consider a different disc brake conversion.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by Mrkelly View Post
          I found my master cylinder using the part numbers that you supplied, thank you so much. I am installing a disk brake conversion kit on my 63 cruiser and I hope that this master cylinder or a new one like it will work with them.
          Keep in mind, since you do not currently have power brakes, be very aware and have the supplier tell you exactly what master cylinder to use, and the pedal ratio their system is designed for. Putting disc brakes on, without all the matching components can result in you not being able to stop without extreme leg pressure verses the drums you have. The OEM disc brake set up used power brakes because of this. A properly chosen set of master bore, pedal ratio etc. can produce excellent stopping without a power booster, but if not coordinated--you may not be able to stop at all!! Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Master Cylinders for Disc Brakes always have a Larger Rear Reservoir section for the Front Disc Brakes than the Front portion for the Rear DRUM Brakes.

As Paul said, the MC 36237 will NOT work for Disc Brakes for multiple reasons.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And use a MC with a 1" bore...such as used on Corvettes.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your help and expertise. I'll keep you posted on how it progresses.
                Mike Kelly
                Regional Manager
                Texas
                1963 Lark Cruiser
                1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                X