Long Screwdriver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Long Screwdriver

Getting ready to reinstall the distributor in my 1963 Avanti R1 I found I needed to turn the oil pump drive shaft so the distributor would seat properly. I tried by longest screwdriver, about 1-foot long, and found it was too short. Looking around for something to use I discovered a length of 5/16" steel fuel line. I crimped one end in the vise to flatten it into shape to be used like a screwdriver. The fuel line is about 2-feet long and has plenty of length to reach into the distributor hole and turn the oil pump shaft. It took a few tries to get the slot in the shaft in the right position for the distributor to fully seat. I did the distributor install this way as I did not want to turn the engine with the starter get the distributor seated. Just though V-8 owners would like to hear about this procedure. Thanks.

(o{}o)

I accomplished the same with a long wooden dowel by whittling one end down.
    American iron, real old school
    With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
    With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
    With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
    The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
    I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Great suggestion. I recently had to do r & r on my distributor. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything lying around that I could make work and since I had to go to a FLAP's in my area anyway I bought a 16" long standard screwdriver to do the job. Now I have a small crow bar in my tool box.

Comment

Easiest way to do it is using a slotted screwdriver with a 3/8 " wide head and a shaft at least 12 " long. Dan

Comment

I used a piece of 3/8" all-thread, and beveled the tip on a grinder. Us Stude folks gotta think out of the box sometimes

Comment

That's exactly how I did it, but it might have been brake line.. still, good enough.
            Originally posted by JWL4541 View Post
            Getting ready to reinstall the distributor in my 1963 Avanti R1 I found I needed to turn the oil pump drive shaft so the distributor would seat properly. I tried by longest screwdriver, about 1-foot long, and found it was too short. Looking around for something to use I discovered a length of 5/16" steel fuel line. I crimped one end in the vise to flatten it into shape to be used like a screwdriver. The fuel line is about 2-feet long and has plenty of length to reach into the distributor hole and turn the oil pump shaft. It took a few tries to get the slot in the shaft in the right position for the distributor to fully seat. I did the distributor install this way as I did not want to turn the engine with the starter get the distributor seated. Just though V-8 owners would like to hear about this procedure. Thanks.

(o{}o)
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

All of you are doing it the HARD Way!

The easiest way is forget trying to line up the Oil Pump slot with the Dist. tang, just turn the Rotor to just about Half a Plug Wire terminal location before the Plug it was pointing to when removed (should be #1 almost straight Forward) and slowly drop it in, point the Dist. where it should be, Vac. Adv. to the right fender, and use your push button Starting Cable (a MUST Have Tool) while lightly pushing the Dist. down just enough to keep it engaged with the Cam Gear, crank the Engine until it drops down all the way into the Oil Pump, a Minute later, no fuss, all Done!

Always be safe though, be SURE the Trans. is in Park or with Manual Trans. in Neutral, Brake set, Ignition OFF.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 06-18-2016, 09:58 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Man, how easy.
                Wait...
                Is that, half a terminal location.....clockwise or countercloclwise ?
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I am pretty sure you are just messing with me Dan, but I'll explain it anyway for those that don't get it.

Since it turns Counterclockwise it would have to be Clockwise, but it just needs to be pointing at Number One or where it was when removed, if not do a do-over.
                  These are just things you just do from experience and sometimes hard to explain, I am sorry if that is confusing some.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And the winner is..... StudeRich by half a hole!!! Doofus

Comment

I am surprised that even though this is a resourceful bunch, no one has used a jack handle, which normally has a screwdriverlike end, and is over 12 inches long.

Comment

The problem with the "Screwdriver" method is that by the time you drop the dist. all the way down to the block you have made the Dist. Gear pass all the way the length of the angled Cam Gear teeth which will turn the Dist. shaft enough to miss your "Timed" Oil Pump Gear Slot, and you will try five or six times to align the gears right AND Time the Engine right, just not worth the trouble.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Lots of good ideas tossed about here. Thanks to all for sharing.

(o{}o)

Comment

Working...
                          X