Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Off With Its Head!

Well, that escalated quickly...

Cruised the lark around a bit and eventually it started steaming out the tailpipe and smelling like coolant. Lots of soot in the remaining coolant as well. Since I've owned it at least, the engine has never seen more than 3700 or so RPM, but I digress. The head itself has developed some cracks. Or they may have been there before, who knows. Cracked between #2,#3 and #5. It was always rather noisy even after valve adjustments. The seats are also pretty much beat.

So then, what are the chances of finding a good used OHV Six head or finding someone with the knowledge, tools and skills to weld up this cast iron head?

My suggestion is to swap for a 259 along with the rest of the drive train.

Or you could try some "block seal" from a reputable source. I've used KW in the past with some success..

Comment

I would not have it welded. BTDT, not a good option.

There are lots of available parts cars out there to get a head from and you can have it cleaned up and reworked before you put it on. Probably some folks in your area.

Post your make, model and year, along with head casting number and see if anyone has one.

Originally posted by hitbyastick View Post
      Well, that escalated quickly...

Cruised the lark around a bit and eventually it started steaming out the tailpipe and smelling like coolant. Lots of soot in the remaining coolant as well. Since I've owned it at least, the engine has never seen more than 3700 or so RPM, but I digress. The head itself has developed some cracks. Or they may have been there before, who knows. Cracked between #2,#3 and #5. It was always rather noisy even after valve adjustments. The seats are also pretty much beat.

So then, what are the chances of finding a good used OHV Six head or finding someone with the knowledge, tools and skills to weld up this cast iron head?
      Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
      1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Those who've been through many OHV6s say finding a good used head is next to impossible and then it's not a matter of if that one will crack, but when.

JMHO, but prior to installing another head, it might increase the chances of survival if the block were de-sludged, radiator re-cored and use Water Wetter in the coolant. Anything to keep the temps down would be a good thing.

Also, consider rebuilding the distributor and using all new ignition components. Timing plays a large part in cylinder head temperature.

Your results may vary.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Thanks everyone.

The 259 swap might be a good option. The car is a 62 Lark. I don't have the head number on me, but it's an early one. The car was actually build in October of 61 I believe. Let's see if I can find a head in the next couple of weeks. If not, then the stude will need to be made to go faster. I just rebuilt the T86 transmission, I'm assuming though that a V8 in front of it won't be awesome.

Comment

If it's a six, the transmission will be a T96, not T86, except in the event that the Lark was a taxi. I have an OHV six head sitting at my place in Arizona. I took it there to have a spare had on hand to fix a car there, but the engine has proven to be so seized that a replacement engine was the way to go. Anyway, that head is available, as would be the head off the stuck engine. The loose head doesn't seem to have obvious cracks in it, but I did not go over it in great detail. And the head on the stuck engine is an unknown quantity. I plan to be down there in June for a few weeks. Price would be "nominal".
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The early overhead valve heads cracked easily ,so much as that the US Postoffice threatened
              to sue Studebaker. The Zipvan used by the US Postoffice used the OHV 6 engines.
              Studebaker was buying heads from junkyard to recondition but that was not enough.
              They made a run of improved heads by changing the molds to distribute the iron more evenly
              The uneven distribution caused the heads to crack and the new heads lasted longer and at the same time changed the heater connection.
              Pick up a 1964 head and more than likely it is an improved version.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Yes sorry I meant T96. The lighter duty transmission.

Keep me in mind when you get to Arizona. Maybe one of the heads is okay.

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                If it's a six, the transmission will be a T96, not T86, except in the event that the Lark was a taxi. I have an OHV six head sitting at my place in Arizona. I took it there to have a spare had on hand to fix a car there, but the engine has proven to be so seized that a replacement engine was the way to go. Anyway, that head is available, as would be the head off the stuck engine. The loose head doesn't seem to have obvious cracks in it, but I did not go over it in great detail. And the head on the stuck engine is an unknown quantity. I plan to be down there in June for a few weeks. Price would be "nominal".

Comment

Thanks everyone.

The 259 swap might be a good option. The car is a 62 Lark. I don't have the head number on me, but it's an early one. The car was actually build in October of 61 I believe. Let's see if I can find a head in the next couple of weeks. If not, then the stude will need to be made to go faster. I just rebuilt the T86 transmission, I'm assuming though that a V8 in front of it won't be awesome.
                  I did it with a '63 Lark and it's practically a bolt-in process. In my case, I wanted it to remain an automatic so I purchased a low mileage 259/F-O-M and replace the residing model 27 rear with the same except for a 3.07 that in turn gave me a reliable 24 mpg on the highway and about 19mpg in mixed driving.

I never regretted the choice except probably should have opted for a model 44 rear...

Comment

Another option is to find an earlier flathead 6, these are plentiful and bulletproof! Plus they sound cool with split exhaust.....

Comment

In decades past i ran a turbocharged OHV 6 in a 62 sedan. seems all the heads i went through cracked in the same place, through the intake valve seat over to the spark plug hole. an Old Timer explained it as "Thermal Cracking" similar to early ford flat head truck engines with vacuum brakes. put valve seats on intakes only and leave rad. cap loose was his cure. the 7th head lasted longest repaired this way,,,,, till Wife lugged it down.replaced with '56 289, Oh Well. i would go the V8 route if doing it again. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                        They made a run of improved heads by changing the molds to distribute the iron more evenly
                        The uneven distribution caused the heads to crack and the new heads lasted longer and at the same time changed the heater connection.
                        Pick up a 1964 head and more than likely it is an improved version.

Robert Kapteyn
                        Where were the heater connections on the 64 heads compared to the earlier ones? The only 6 I own is in the Zip Van. It's a later one due to the larger left rear window but I'd like to know if it has the revised head.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

But think of all that horsepower! All both of them.

Comment

After digging around in the depth of the engine, it turns out that besides the head having many issues, two pistons are badly scored. I doubt it's worth it to rebuild this engine. A V8 swap might be in order, or using an engine from a different manufacturer. Mercedes made some pretty sturdy straight 6 engines back in the day.

Comment

After digging around in the depth of the engine, it turns out that besides the head having many issues, two pistons are badly scored. I doubt it's worth it to rebuild this engine. A V8 swap might be in order, or using an engine from a different manufacturer. Mercedes made some pretty sturdy straight 6 engines back in the day.
                              Now THAT'S an intriguing notion! And keeps it "in the family"...sort of. Any guesses how hard they are to find, and how much?
                              Mike Davis
                              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
                              X