How to remove window regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: How to remove window regulator

My window regulator seems to be broken . It works in a way and it doesn't at the same time.

IT seems the window isn't fixed at the regulator, the front part moves , the rear part remains where it was.

Any advice? How do I remove the window? And the regulator?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4612.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1750461

Thanks Walter
    Last edited by Santosh; 02-23-2016, 11:13 AM.
    Walter

80 Fiat Spider
    63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
    60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
    56 Golden Hawk
    56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
    68 Volvo P1800S
    56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

It may be that one of the two regulator pins which ride in the window frame channel have backed out. The bottom of the window frame is slotted and these pins ride in the slot, moving back and forth as they drive the window up/down. The pins have clips which keep them fast in the slot. One of the clips may have fallen off.. You shouldn't have to remove the regulator to reinstall a clip. Check the page where you install the window...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I agree with 64V-K7 . A clip has fallen off which is a common problem when someone slams the door with the window partially down. I put the evil curse on anyone who closes the doors on mine without rolling the window completely up or down since I have had to replace the clip twice because of that exercise.

Comment

Could be , The door doesn't shut well, so I forced it to get it closed.

How do I fasten the clip? I cannot find a pic and one has to do it blind.
        Walter

80 Fiat Spider
        56 Golden Hawk
        68 Volvo P1800S
        56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

Comment

It's not a procedure one can take a picture of, as you have no doubt discovered. You just need to envision how it works, realize how it must go together, find or buy a new clip, and get your fingers in there to make it happen.
          Smack me if I'm wrong.

And figure out why you have difficulty with your door.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It`s a bit like an R clip but with the ends folded back on itself.
            You`ll find a picture of one in the SI catalog, there should also be a very thin washer put on before the clip.
            Maybe that was missing which caused the clip to snag the lift channel.
            Geoff

Comment

You will find the clip and related parts laying in the bottom of the door. Just move the regulator into a position where you can see through the opening in the door(with panel removed) and the solution will be obvious. The pin is probably still at least partially in place so just push it through, put the washer on and probably using the braille method or with a mirror push the clip into the slot on the pin and make sure in the future that the window is completely up or down before slamming the door.

Comment

Thanks for your help, good to know , every question in this forum is getting an excellent answer, super!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4614.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1704012

This is the clip and two washers, that's all? No roller? The outer washer was tilt (I will use a bigger one) and the regulator arm is bent !
                Attached Files
                Walter

80 Fiat Spider
                56 Golden Hawk
                68 Volvo P1800S
                56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

Comment

This problem calls for a complete evaluation of the window parts, pieces and functions. Assuming driver's door, you got to get it right. I may not have experience with this type of window, but is that "C" clip the correct part for securing/retaining the washer ?? In addition to making sure the clip(s) & washers are correct, its a good time to check the glass channel (that holds the glass) for uniformity & rust. Also, since you're inside, make certain the window U-channels are good & fluffy and anchored correctly. Check the regulator arm for straightness and true function of gearing. Rebuild for good, consistent, driver's function. GL

Comment

The clip you have is home made. Not the correct clip. The washer looks too thick also.
                    The Studebaker International catalog shows #285030. A thin spring wire clip.
                    The thin washer is shown as #281089
                    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                    X