No announcement yet.

If it's not broken, should I "fix" it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: If it's not broken, should I "fix" it?

The oil pressure relief valve in my car has never been serviced, the car has 120K miles and holds good oil pressure of 45 lbs at hiway speeds, should I remove and clean?

I don't think it is a matter of "fixing." It is a matter of "servicing." Unless you are a complete fumble-finger, prone to drop, and lose parts, it is not that difficult. If you have a shop manual, and can follow instructions, it should be a doable task. Like changing an oil filter, air filter, points, replacing spark plugs, or greasing a lubrication point...just another service item with a recommended maintenance interval.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If the engine has used detergent oil and had regular oil changes, I'd think the valve would be very clean.

Comment

It can never hurt to do this "recommended" service. The proper functioning of the release valve controls lubrication to the timing gears, otherwise avoided by main oil passages. You can't imagine how many of the fiber gears have failed, and left folks stranded on the highway (myself more than twice), because a simple service was ignored. Oil pressure in the block does not guarantee everything needing lubrication is happy. If it could survive forever without occasional service, occasional service would not have been recommended.
        Last edited by rockne10; 03-17-2015, 11:24 PM.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

From when the car was almost new the oil and filter were changed every 1000 miles. Now that the car is only driven maybe 500 miles per year, I try to change the oil and filter two times per year......just when the car goes to sleep for the winter, then in the spring when it wakes up:-) And the car has always had HD oil utilized.
          Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
          If the engine has used detergent oil and had regular oil changes, I'd think the valve would be very clean.

Comment

Yes. You should service this valve.
            Clean the bore with a new 1/2" (iirc) drill bit (turning by hand with your fingers).
            Clean the piston (or replace it with new).

This should be a 'must do' for everyone.
            Choice of oil matters not.

Think of it this way...
            If the piston sticks in one position, you could have low oil pressure.
            If the piston sticks the other way, you could have high oil pressure, with no releif.
            A cold start on a crisp morning and your old fiber cam gear could fail, or your oil pump/distributor gear pin could shear.

Good maintenance is a must.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff, how often should this be effectuated?
              Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              Yes. You should service this valve.
              Clean the bore with a new 1/2" (iirc) drill bit (turning by hand with your fingers).
              Clean the piston (or replace it with new).

This should be a 'must do' for everyone.
              Choice of oil matters not.

Think of it this way...
              If the piston sticks in one position, you could have low oil pressure.
              If the piston sticks the other way, you could have high oil pressure, with no releif.
              A cold start on a crisp morning and your old fiber cam gear could fail, or your oil pump/distributor gear pin could shear.

Good maintenance is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                Jeff, how often should this be effectuated?
                IIRC, the good book (Studebaker Service Manual) recommends every other year.
                And if you do service it regularly, then it won't get glued in place over time....

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Guess I have been fortunate........50 years and have never done it:-)
                  Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  IIRC, the good book (Studebaker Service Manual) recommends every other year.
                  And if you do service it regularly, then it won't get glued in place over time....

Comment

I just freshened up a 45K R1 engine going in my 53. It looked almost new inside. BUT, I put in a new valve and spring while I was in it. You ask WHY? Because as much as Jeff recommends this, I was scared not to. I was afraid next time I saw him he might skin me up a little if he found out. LOL LOL LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                      I just freshened up a 45K R1 engine going in my 53. It looked almost new inside. BUT, I put in a new valve and spring while I was in it. You ask WHY? Because as much as Jeff recommends this, I was scared not to. I was afraid next time I saw him he might skin me up a little if he found out. LOL LOL LOL.
                      <LOL>...
                      To tell the truth... I could care less if people don't care for their Studebakers.
                      Unless I am buying one, or fixing one.
                      But the pressure regulator piston and spring comes up so often on the forum.
                      Must be something there.
                      I know people that have driven 100,000 miles on the original tires, with the original air in them.
                      Great!
                      But is that the norm? I think not.
                      And if I am to be remembered as the local village idiot that espoused good maintenance and safe practices....
                      I can live with that.

Jeff

Comment

Wait a doggone minute there buster. You may have to fight me for that village idiot title!
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                          Wait a doggone minute there buster. You may have to fight me for that village idiot title!
                          Considering all the "Villages" represented here...plenty of room for more than one.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                          X