heater blower motor- 62 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: heater blower motor- 62 Hawk

A question concerning my '62 Hawk: I'm about to put the heater blower back in and I want to get a new motor for it. As I'm sure you know, on this car the heater blower is up inside the right fender, with the heater core under the passenger's side front seat. I called Stude Int. and they never seem to have any product knowledge about what they sell. They say they have the heater blower motor and an auxiliary heater blower motor. They couldn't tell me anything about the auxiliary heater. I know that as an option you could get the Hawk with a second heater core under the driver's seat. Did they have a second motor for that core? Where did the auxiliary heater blower motor go? I know there is also a motor for the defrost- it isn't that is it? - please enlighten me- thanks

I'm not sure....but in reading your question, I thought about the defroster motor myself.

Comment

It's mounted on top of the core under the drivers seat. Totally different from the defroster or fender mounted heater.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

If you go to the upper right corner of this page and type in 'auxiliary heater', then click on the hourglass, you will get several of our archived threads on that subject (or any other subject).

I have one of those aux heaters in the 56J, bought NOS, many years ago, and love it. Its motor-fan is located in center, between two cores, with the motor body poking down, through the floor (must cut a hole). It blows through the cores, fore and aft, from under the seat, and is nice and toasty on the driver's feet and the person's sitting in the rear seat, driver side.
        I also have aux heaters in both GT Hawks (62 & 63), but inside the AC evaporators, which hang under dash. They work great too, with more versatility in where you want to direct the air.
        Some folks here say you do not need an aux heater, but that depends on geo location, and individuals' tolerance for cold weather. Also, the aux heaters help the (marginally engineered) defroster to work better.
        Last edited by JoeHall; 01-21-2015, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks bezhawk, you answered my question.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            It's mounted on top of the core under the drivers seat. Totally different from the defroster or fender mounted heater.
            Bez, if the motor were mounted on top of the core, it would make for an uncomfortable driver seat
            It is flipped upside down, so that only the fan sticks up, between the two cores (fore and aft), and the body of the motor sticks down through a hole, that must be cut in the floorboard. Mine was NOS from Tom K., with original instructions included. The core is also very thin, about 1.5" to 2", in order to fit under the seat w/o interference with the cushion.

An additional two holes, about 3/4" must be drilled in the floorboard, for the hose connections, which connect to hoses that are ran under the car.
            Last edited by JoeHall; 01-22-2015, 07:16 AM.

Comment

I should have said the fan is on top of the core. you are right. There is on on the GT Hawk in my shop.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Jim, you need to read this:

StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...