1965 Chevybaker Clutch Linkage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: 1965 Chevybaker Clutch Linkage Question

Attention any Chevybaker driver with a manual (V8) shift car: The shop manual for the '65 Cruiser I am working on shows a return spring mounted in a hole in the upper bar of the Z-bar, about halfway, with the other end attached to the body underside. However, the parts book lists only ONE pedal return spring (#284505) and shows it mounted INSIDE the car, with one end at the forward end of the bellcrank the the other end on the instrument panel. This spring is not as beefy as the Studebaker clutch return spring; and in fact when I mounted a #284505 spring inside the car in this position -- voila -- it does not work! I feel I have stumbled into a never-before-broadcast episode of The Twilight Zone, with me cast as the earnest but hapless Studebaker restorer seeking in vain to have his clutch pedal pop back up. Rod Serling is laughing in his grave whilst holding the true spring in his bony hand.

The heavier spring should be inside the car. It should be the same as any 61 and up Lark type clutch return spring. The lighter weight spring is an anti rattle spring that holds theChevy clutch fork to the pushrod .
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      The heavier spring should be inside the car. It should be the same as any 61 and up Lark type clutch return spring. The lighter weight spring is an anti rattle spring that holds theChevy clutch fork to the pushrod .
      But there is a third spring pictured in the shop manual but not in the parts book -- this is the medium-sized spring shown mounted on the upper bar of the Z-bar. It looks like there may be three springs -- small on the fork, medium on the upper bar, and large on the clutch pedal.

Comment

I've had a couple '65 manuals over the years, but none now. Wish I did so I could see that illustration. The 1965-66 manual does not show a spring at the pedal. Additionally, the part number for a '65-'66 pedal is different from a '61-'64 pedal. Try it with the #284505 on the linkage and nothing on the pedal.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
          I've had a couple '65 manuals over the years, but none now. Wish I did so I could see that illustration. The 1965-66 manual does not show a spring at the pedal. Additionally, the part number for a '65-'66 pedal is different from a '61-'64 pedal. Try it with the #284505 on the linkage and nothing on the pedal.
          Thanks so much for your reply. I can scan the shop manual page and send it to you -- it is completely different from the corresponding illustration in the Clutch section of the Chassis Parts book, which shows the clutch pedal with a spring above it in mid-air, as it were, but you can't really tell where said spring is supposed to be mounted, plus it shows not one but TWO notches in the upper end of the pedal bellcrank. On the engine side of the firewall, meanwhile, there is no spring mount or hook on the body or frame corresponding to the hole in upper bar of the Z-bar shaft, plus unlike Chevrolets even if you had a hook, the spring wouldn't function properly, as there isn't enough room. In fact I did get the #284505 spring -- it is much the same as the springs used to secure the rear part of the hood to the cowl on earlier Studebakers (like my '56 President), just to give you an idea; which is to say, much less beefy than the spring used from '61-'64. The spring is also shown on the Brake section of the chassis book and marked with the identical part number. Quite a mystery indeed!

Comment

I do not know if this has anything to do with the clutch linkage and springs confusion you are talking about, but is there ANY chance the 3rd. unknown spring could be the short little Coil spring on the pedal cross shaft between the pedals?
            That one is the Brake Pedal return spring.

I never depend on the Shop Manual Photos for Parts Configuration, on the Pedal System, some of them are of the very similar FORD System from the same supplier that Stude. used.
            Those are obviously before they had it fine tuned and may be wrong, notice the Pedal Pad with the Ford Crest outline on it!

The Chassis Parts Catalog Illustrations may solve your problem.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I do not know if this has anything to do with the clutch linkage and springs confusion you are talking about, but is there ANY chance the 3rd. unknown spring could be the short little Coil spring on the pedal cross shaft between the pedals?
              That one is the Brake Pedal return spring.

I never depend on the Shop Manual Photos for Parts Configuration, on the Pedal System, some of them are of the very similar FORD System from the same supplier that Stude. used.
              Those are obviously before they had it fine tuned and may be wrong, notice the Pedal Pad with the Ford Crest outline on it!

The Chassis Parts Catalog Illustrations may solve your problem.
              That coil-type brake pedal return spring you refer to is already installed. The mystery spring is attached to the upper shaft of the Z-bar. After looking many times at the car, I can attest that there is no way a #284505 spring could be attached as depicted in the shop manual. Therefore, the spring must be attached under the dashboard.

Comment

Working...
              X