First patch panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First patch panel

I've cut the trunk off the parts car body so I work it from any side. The first of many patch panels is attached, it is the right side, bottom, rear corner. The trunk is upside down leaning on the left side as pictured. I bought a 4'x8' sheet; I hope it will be enough.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20150116_123225.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1746145 This shows the old material laid over the new. Click image for larger version

Name:	20150116_123237.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1746146 The new piece.

Nice job. Looks like you've been doing them for a while. Thanks for the pix. Good luck..

Comment

Aint it fun welding that thin sheet metal. I don't know what gauge metal Stude used but most of the time it's a lot thinner than it was when it left the factory. What gauge are you making the patch panels from?
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Jerry: I am using 18 gauge. hawk58man: thanks, you are too kind, this is literally my first patch.
        Last edited by fatboylust; 01-18-2015, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Fabricating and fitting the right rear body mount, prior to patching the trunk floor in that corner. I'll finish welding the stiffener and clean welds before drilling the mount and welding and tack-welding it into the corner.

Name:	20150120_151626.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1695111
          Attached Files
          Last edited by fatboylust; 01-20-2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Fatboylust. Pick your self up a small hand held sand blaster from someone like harbor freight. It will make welding in patches like that a lot easier if the metal where you need to weld is nice and clean. Patch panel looks good.

Comment

Hey Fatboylust, nice job! Where did you get/how did you make the stiffener for that panel? It looks stamped or rolled. I'm building panels for 65's floor!

Nate

Comment

Nate, The stiffener is/will be weld to the mount, in the original it was pressed into the mount. I won't bother to cut out the back side.
                I started with a strip of 18gauge 1-3/4" wide by a foot long. I bored a hole through a 4x4 with a 1-3/16 forstner bit and cut into 2 unequal parts. I used a 13/16" deep-well socket and my bench vice to pressing the socket into the strip using the lessor portion of the drilled 4x4 to shape arc in to the strip. I trimmed the edges to the desired width/height. Once the basic shape was done I used the socket and a hammer to tune the shape. The rounded ends were formed with a hammer and steel ball bearing (about 7/8" dia) trimming the excess to achieve the round ends. Hope you're not sorry you asked; hope it helps.

Name:	20150122_103744.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1695124
                Last edited by fatboylust; 01-22-2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Yea. It looks great! That's what I've been doing to make my floors. One piece at a time. It takes time but is fun! Great job!

Comment

I read somewhere Studebaker used 19 gauge metal.
                    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Wow... I am in awe You have great vision and skills to match!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by fatboylust View Post
                        Nate, The stiffener is/will be weld to the mount, in the original it was pressed into the mount. I won't bother to cut out the back side.
                        I started with a strip of 18gauge 1-3/4" wide by a foot long. I bored a hole through a 4x4 with a 1-3/16 forstner bit and cut into 2 unequal parts. I used a 13/16" deep-well socket and my bench vice to pressing the socket into the strip using the lessor portion of the drilled 4x4 to shape arc in to the strip. I trimmed the edges to the desired width/height. Once the basic shape was done I used the socket and a hammer to tune the shape. The rounded ends were formed with a hammer and steel ball bearing (about 7/8" dia) trimming the excess to achieve the round ends. Hope you're not sorry you asked; hope it helps.
                        That is called "improvising", sign of good fabricator. Lamar

Comment

Bought a clock for my project, plus a few spare parts.

Name:	20151229_123908.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1703220 Click image for larger version

Name:	00202_cKYncikdrx1_600x450.jpg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1703219 Click image for larger version

Name:	20151229_123754.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1703218 Click image for larger version

Name:	20151229_162504.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1703217

Comment

You guys have a lot more talent and energy than me. Keep up the good work!
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Nice garage picture! Looking forward to seeing that hardtop on the road soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X