1962 champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 1962 champ

AS I understand it the champ pickup has the same frame as a 49 up studebaker truck. If this is true then anything that work on a 49-59 frame should also work on the champ. Like mustang 2 frame cross members.

They are not identical -- in fact, even the C-cab frame was modified several times during the 49-59 period. However, they do have the same wheelbase and overall dimensions, so that may be good enough for what you want to do. Maybe someone who has done a subframe swap can answer specifically.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

If he really wants IFS that bad the Astro Van conversion would be better than those expensive Fat Man jobs.

Comment

Alan, don't you mean the Aerostar van conversion? That one I've seen for the C cab. I was thinking of it for one of my Champs but understand the tread is too wide but the C cab has a wider tread & is pictured in the conversion.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Yes Warren, At times even I goof on one.

Comment

In my area a front from a Aerostar would be hard to find as most got sent to china years ago. I dont like the price the after market guy's are charging for the mustang 2 stuff either. You know they are putting it right up our you know whats. Been trying to come up with something that will work but no one knows about so the u-pull its don't have the price way out of sight. Only one I know of is the 80's elcomino's but they are independent rears which are a real pain to deal with. Got one set up for a late 40's ford sedan and it has almost wiped out the trunk space and cut into the rear seat bottom big time.. Should make a nice driving car and it sits great as far as ride height.

Comment

Unless you are into corner carving, nothing can beat a well set up truck front axle.

[/URL]

Comment

Alan, is that a 3/4 ton front axle??? Looks possibly like the 8 lug bolt pattern & if it is I want one, disc brakes & all!!!!!
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Warren, that is a 8E5 112 with Willwood discs for a 70 Dodge Charger. The Willwood discs have both 5 on 4 1/2" and 5 on 4 3/4" bolt patterns, you just put the studs from the inside into the proper holes.

Comment

[QUOTE=Alan;883916]Unless you are into corner carving, nothing can beat a well set up truck front axle.

Amen. Funny how the hot rod gurus try to say that a person must change their truck to an independent suspension. True, a pickup will not handle like a car, but many novices have ruined good vehicles by starting a modification they don't need. The original style suspension still works fine if in good shape and can be more easily repaired.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                    X