Petronix part number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Petronix part number

Anyone know the Petronix part # for upgrading a 57 Commander 259?

See page 14 on their catalog: http://www.pertronix.com/ then check the distributor number on your engine with the chart. Best bet in case someone prior (like what I do) has changed the distributor.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks, will do when I get home later.

Comment

Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker, among others, can straighten you out with the correct P/N and most likely can ship same day.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Many folks have reported problems with Pertronix units. I have installed five of them and they have all been trouble free. I always use the stock coil, so maybe the problems are associated with the super duper coils.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The Pertronix number for a stock non window Delco distributor is 1183. I agree with Radio Roy, use your stock coil if it is still good. I've had Pertronix high output coils fail especially if they are used without a ballast resistor in series with the coil. Pertronix recommends using suppressor type plug wires with their modules, so I usually replace the plug leads when I install a Pertronix module. Bud

Comment

The first mistake a lot of people do is going to the Pertronixs Website or a Racing Parts Website.

The last time I looked they had the info for Studes. all screwed up, and always sell the Prestolite Dual Point Avanti/Jet Thrust Kit for '62-'64 Larks and Lark Types with the SINGLE Point Dist. which they do NOT sell. The modifier Co. Crane is out of business.

Just call Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Called and ordered from Phil. Thanks

Comment

Post #6 AND the Pertronix website both say 1183. Phil said 1187LS, which is what I ordered [BEFORE I saw the distributor number to enter on Pertronic's website]. . It's due here today so I hope it's correct.

Comment

The 1187LS module will work in an earlier Delco distributor, but it doesn't have a reluctor and depends on the distributor cam lobes for the trigger and as a result there is about a 5 second delay between turning on the ignition and being able to start the engine due to the fact that the module has to charge before it decides to work. The 1183 module is a much better choice. Bud

Comment

Working...
                    X