Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are any / many of you using electric fans on 53-55 sedan/wagons ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Are any / many of you using electric fans on 53-55 sedan/wagons ?

If you read about my problem with using a high powered Ford electric fan in my 54 wagon in the other forum...you'll know I'm on the hunt for a "good" electric fan. Just not enough room between the water pump and the radiator for that Ford fan.

No aftermarket cheapies with little 1" wide blades. Looking for a known quantity (preferably a Ford, GM, Chrysler type fan) that you have actually used with a good outcome.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Hi Mike-I just installed a dual fan set-up from an '03 Olds Allero in my '61 Hawk. fit fairly well. only covers the top 2/3 rds of the radiator. Plenty of clearance between fans and water pump on the stock motor. Don't know how close the hawk is to your wagon, but the fan I used is plentiful in the junkyards around here. I tried a '01 P.T. Cruiser fan, but the Olds was the best fit. Good luck.- Jim

Comment

I assume you are running 12 volt?

Comment

I had insufficient room behind the radiator to use a rear mount fan so put one(s) on the front side. I acquired 2 pusher fans from 1st gen Ford Probe (1989-1992) and mounted them to a frame I made from 3/4x3/4 angle irons. The early versions of these fans have a steel shroud and mounting arms so I could weld that to the frame. The later ones are plastic. I have a thermostat switch installed in the water elbow/neck the regular thermostat is under and use that to switch a relay that powers the fans from the battery (with fuse of course).

Could be the same years of Mazda MX6 (?) are the same. Of course, these cars are now rare so maybe hard to find in a 'yard. These have been perfectly fine in some high 90s days stuck in traffic.

Although this is in my '53K and not a sedan it is not all that different.

Jeff in ND

Comment

jr -
          Thanks. was thinking of something simillar.

Chuck -
          Yes. The high powered Ford fan might have been a clue.

Jeff -
          Yes, there is a little more room and a little more is all I need to install my current Ford fan.

I guess a tape and a trip or two to a wrecking yard is in order.
          That or a simillar fan as I have on my Lark. Pulls a ton of air, fairly light, but is noisy.

Thanks all

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X