53/64 Rear Fender Bolt Clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 53/64 Rear Fender Bolt Clips

Are the bolt clips that hold the rear fender to the body at the top all the same from 53 - 64? I am tearing down a 55 C-Body and the bolts are "ACME LIKE" so I wonder about the clips. Are they available? Is the only way to replace them to get rude with the body and trim or bend the lip?

Jon Kammer

Yes these clips to hold on the fender trim and the bolt (Acme thread) are available.
    Please explain your question.
    Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Those clips are designed to work in one direction, both for installing and removing the trim strip.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The trim along the top of the fender pops off if you carefully pry from the trunk side of the trim.

Comment

This is classic, nobody read the post very well......

1. Are they all the same from 53 - 64?

2. Where can I get them?

3. Is there a trick to change them? They appear to be put in as the parts are welded based on the amount of "GOO" between the two body parts and the captive clip.

JK

Comment

The GT hawks 62-64 do not use the slide clip that is bolted on. they use the wire spring type. I have lots of both.
            Last edited by candbstudebakers; 09-06-2014, 03:20 PM.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
              This is classic, nobody read the post very well......

1. Are they all the same from 53 - 64?

2. Where can I get them?

3. Is there a trick to change them? They appear to be put in as the parts are welded based on the amount of "GOO" between the two body parts and the captive clip.

JK

I only know a little about C-K's and nothing at all about sedans.
              C-K's have the same rear/outer quarter panel retaining bolts from '53 to '61 (maybe '64), and the same molding clips from '53 to '56 (excepting the '56 Golden Hawk).
              I think, others will correct me if I am wrong.
              Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post

JK
              What parts are you talking about being welded?
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Classic ,nobody writes their post very well!
                Do not assume that everyone knows what car you are working on.
                Provide part numbers! I know that you were working on a 1955 "C" body but if you have the part number ,you can enter that in any search engine and add Studebaker and find the vendors that stock these clips.
                If you are restoring or maintaining a Studebaker at least look up the part number of what you are talking about.
                Parts books are readily available for most Studebakers.

Robert Kapteyn
                Last edited by rkapteyn; 09-06-2014, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Are we talking about the clips/nuts as in "pal nuts" that receive the Acme-like screws;
                  or
                  are we talking about the clips that go under the screw head and receive/retain the SS trim strips?

Comment

I think we are talking about the flat 1"x1" clip that is under the bolt that holds the fender to the body on 53-56 C/K's except for the 56 golden hawk, all the hawks used the bolt to hold the fender to the body but not the clip,fenders under fins did not need them and the GT hawks used the wire spring type to hold the SS molding but did use the same bolts to hold the fender to the body.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Very clear and concise info Bob. thanks jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                      X