No announcement yet.

Need help about my 1928 FA Cabriolet Studebaker President Eight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Need help about my 1928 FA Cabriolet Studebaker President Eight

I am new to classic car restoration and don't want to do anything to hurt the value of my car.
    Should I restore it?
    The car sits crooked. Should I re-ache the leaf springs, rebuild the shocks and put new straps on?
    I am looking for a manual fuel pump.
    I want to start the car. I am servicing the fuel tank and radiator now. Should I flush the engine block out it has been sitting since 1972.
    I need advice on just about everything.

The Cincinnati area is full of Studebaker fans.
    Join the Antique Studebaker Club and find friends that can help.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
      The Cincinnati area is full of Studebaker fans.
      Join the Antique Studebaker Club and find friends that can help.

Robert Kapteyn
      Excellent suggestion above. In addition, join the Studebaker Drivers Club, subscribe to the "Turning Wheels" magazine, and a local chapter of the SDC. Once you "get your feet on the ground," and get a good feeling of resources available to you, you will be better equipped to develop a restoration plan. From your initial post, there is not enough information regarding your experience and qualifications to take on the task.

The more you do yourself, the less the cost. You'll need to evaluate your capabilities, and talents (and the ability to develop new skills) along with the resolve and determination to see the project to completion. Cars of this era are definitely worth restoring as they represent the "golden age" of automotive development and artistic expression. Especially a Studebaker, because in this era, they were high end cars that exceeded the quality of most roads they had to be driven on.

You are fortunate to live in an area of the country where good resources are within a day's drive. Being rather centrally located, is an advantage. There's lots of talent available in your region.

It has been a lifelong dream of mine to own a car of this era, but my age, energy level, and resources are making this more unlikely with each passing day. I have done restorations that took me years to complete. I have no regrets. In fact, they are never really complete. There's always something to do. After making this post, I'm headed out to get one of mine serviced and ready for a weekend Studebaker gathering.

Welcome to the forum, and I wish you the best of enjoyment restoring your project. Hang around here. There are some folks participating on this forum who are "guru's" on these cars. Hopefully some of them will respond and be of great assistance to you. We look forward to following your progress.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckah View Post
        Should I restore it?
        The car sits crooked. Should I re-ache the leaf springs, rebuild the shocks and put new straps on?
        Depending on its current condition, would it be considered a survivor? What AACA would list in "Preservation" class?
        Photos would help but, as others have said, you are in the center of the Studebaker world. Many people close to you have already been there.
        I would consider your suspension to be one of the systems that should be properly maintained for safe operation in any case.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If it has been sitting for forty-two years I would make certain all four brakes are functioning as designed before I would attempt to move it under its own power. Even mechanical brakes will have their issues.

Use this search to find Studebaker Chapters in your area. http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/chapters.asp
          Brad Johnson,
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Brad is correct. Your President is on the AACA "Classics" list. So you probably don't want to make a rat rod out of it. I don't know what the rules are but I know you can harm the value of the car if you break them. Pictures please!!

Nathan

Comment

Thanks for the insight. The learning curve is huge and a lot of fun.
              Attached Files

Comment

That is very cool. It looks really nice already!

Comment

This is a very good basic article about how to evaluate your new old Studebaker. I'm not sure if all of the details are correct for a pre-war car, for instance, I'm not sure if you need a hub puller to remove the brake drums, but its a good checklist to follow.

John
                  1950 Champion
                  W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                  Holdrege NE

Comment

Great article and advise thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

That appears to be a survivor to me. I would do whatever is necessary to get it to a totally safe and operable condition without regard to appearance. Not to say it is not a candidate for restoration but, plunging in to restoration, unless your resources are huge, often turns survivors in to parts cars.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Joining the Antique Studebaker Club will be very beneficial to you, and seeking advise from Buzz Beckman (the president of the club- maybe past president) will help you out also. He is VERY knowledgeable about all things Studebaker, and very generous in sharing his knowledge. B.V.

Comment

Working...
                        X