Oil pressure relief valve location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil pressure relief valve location

I would like to pull my oil pressure relief valve on my 6cyl OHV 170 to clean it. I believe I've located it. Is it just under the engine mounting bracket on the same side as the fuel pump? If so, the manual says to use a drill to remove the piston...how is this possible? There doesn't seem to be room for a drill to get in there. Additional question: does the oil need to be drained first before removing the valve?

It says to use a drill bit, which is just a very tiny bit larger than the hole. It screws into the hole then is snug enough that you can pull the 'valve' out.

No to draining the oil.

There might be a bit of 'varnish' trapping the 'valve' in the block, in which case it should be scraped out first, with a pen knife or some such.

Comment

So you use the drill bit by hand then? There's no room for a drill motor is what I meant.

Comment

Yes to using it by hand. The drill bit is just used to get a hold of it and pull it out.
        Originally posted by Surfpilot View Post
        So you use the drill bit by hand then? There's no room for a drill motor is what I meant.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks frank. I appreciate your help. I'll get into it tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X