Can't get the cyl head off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Can't get the cyl head off

I have a 1950 studebaker champion. I can't get the cyl head (top of motor) off. All the bolts are out, nothing else is holding it in place There is a seal/gasket there that I think is binding the two parts. Any tips or suggestions of how to get it off?

Put the spark plugs back in and spin the engine with the starter.

If you still have the manifolds on the engine, try to start it. That will loosen the head.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Reading this brought back a memory from many years back.
      I was doing some inboard boat engine work in Redondo Beach. I had to make a coupla trips up and down the dock to get everything I needed for the work I was doing.
      I noticed guys working on the engine of a really cool old boat and were apparently having trouble getting the heads off a small block Chevy engine. I stopped and watched for a minute on my last trip. The guys had about a 6ft. long 2x4 prying from one head to the other to try to remove it from its resting place on the block. They weren't happy campers as they'd been at it for some time and it was somewhat warm out. I asked if I could ask a question..they both just stared back. I asked if they removed the 2ea. short end fasteners about the middle of each head? One just grumbled something about "all the bolts were out" and they went on prying.
      Funny thing...about 15 minutes later, I looked out the window of the boat I was working on...they had both heads off the block and were just sitting there talking.
      They never even looked up anytime I walked by, the whole rest of the weekend..!

Anyway...sorry to hijack your thread...just brought back a funny memory.

Only guess I can make here is the original gasket sealer musta been of the adhesive type. And dare I say...may take some prying, or good hard wacks (from the side) with a mallet..!

Good luck

Mike

Comment

Someone may have used gasket sealer on both sides of the head gasket and the head is well glued on.
        I like the idea of using compression to loosen it.
        Next, I would try raping around the sides of the head to break it loose.
        Then, I would try prying it off, but be careful doing this to not get carried away in one spot and break the head.
        Oh, and welcome to the SDC Forum.
        The question is, why do you want to remove the head?
        This is a Worlwide forum. Where is "redcliff"?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I just started rebuilding the car so it won't start. I will grab a mallet and a couple hours to tap away at it. Do you think spraying WD-40 would help loosen it as well?
          Redcliff is in Alberta, Canada.

Comment

You did remove the plugs, right?
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Using compression to loosen the head is a great idea. I would, however, leave a half dozen of the head bolts in a loosened state, just in case the head should decide to buy you a new hood!
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You can do this with air pressure too. Just get one of those compression tester adapters like you would use for cylinder leakage testing and hit it with about 150 pounds of air. Put a few head bolts in as suggested above.
                I have also seen a power grease gun used to do the same job.
                No solvent is going to release that head either.
                Good luck
                Nick

Comment

Originally posted by 50champstude View Post
                  I just started rebuilding the car so it won't start. I will grab a mallet and a couple hours to tap away at it. Do you think spraying WD-40 would help loosen it as well?
                  I doubt wd40 will help, but try it if you like. It won't do any harm.

Much better to loosen the head bolts a turn or two, then crank the engine with plugs in and a stout battery. Don't start the engine or you may remove the head in pieces,

Comment

Rustcheck would work better than WD-40.
                    Bill Jarvis

Comment

Did you pull the bolts from the thermostat neck? Just checkin...
                      sals54

Comment

Any luck ? ? ? ?
                        sals54

Comment

Originally posted by 50champstude View Post
                          Try filling a cylinder full of oil (#1 on the way up to compression) put it in gear and rock the car. Dave from B.C.

Comment

Sal is right, on flathead Studes, the thermostat water neck bolts ARE HEAD BOLTS.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Are we ever gonna find out if this head came off ???
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X