Coldest AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Coldest AC

In the past couple of weeks, I have checked & charged the AC on all three Hawks, to get ready for summer. Both of the GTs have OEM Stude condensers and modern, retro evaporators, hung under the dash. The 56J has a condenser off a mid 70s full size Buick, and a hanging evaporator from a mid-60s Mopar (which, except for script, looks identical to 1966 Stude). Both of those items, I removed from junk cars in the California desert back in the mid 90s.

This morning, at mid-50s ambient temp, the 56J's AC dropped to 14 degrees, and in mid summer will drop to the high 20s, on low speed. The two GTs will drop to mid-low 30s on low speed, but have never dropped into the 20s. The 56J takes a full three cans of freon to recharge from empty, and both GTs take a little over two cans.

I attribute the 56J's coldest air to the condenser, which, at 23.5" x 18" x 1.5" just barely fits in front of the radiator.

I think the 7-blade, Corvette, thermal clutch fans, on all three cars, helps the condensers to do their job better. The fans do not kick in till the motor has ran a few minutes, and when they kick in I can definitely hear and feel the extra wind. They kick on & off as needed going down the road. I have never seen a stock Stude fan that can compare , except the 6-blade fixed fan used on some AC equipped Studes.

Guess I an ready for summer now. Can't wait for the 80s-90s to get here !

I know what you mean on those GM thermal fans. When the one on my Duramax kicked in for the first time I almost pulled over to look at the low flying jet I was sure was just over me!. You can't beat good ol' Freon for a good working AC
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Joe: where do you get your Freon?
      Dan

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse y'all with the word "freon". I have been using 134 now, like most everyone else, since the early 90s, IIRC.

With the 56J's vintage evaporator, if the rheostat is turned all the way clockwise, it will not shut the compressor off for cycling. It must be turned back counterclockwise about 1/4 turn before it will start to cycle. With the compressor not cycling out, it pulled the temp down to 14 degrees yesterday, but that was with outside temp in the mid 50s. As mentioned though, it will usually pull it down to high 20s (with fan on low speed), even in summertime.

The 134 works just fine, but I guess most of us remember the old stuff (whatever it was called) as working better.

Comment

Did you evacuate the system(s)?
          (You mentioned 'empty' on the one car... Made me curious)
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Did you evacuate the system(s)?
            (You mentioned 'empty' on the one car... Made me curious)
            Jeff,
            I just topped them up again this year. Each spring, the GTs will take a can or so, but the 56J is usually just about empty, since it still has the old style hoses. Putting modern hoses on the 56J has been in the round-to-it list for many years now.

But to answer your question, anytime one is broken open, yes I evacuate, and install a new drier.
            Last edited by JoeHall; 05-18-2014, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Don't need AC up here in Boston, with the exception of a few weeks in September. But if I ever move south you can bet I will be going to the junkyard to look for a mid-70's Buick condenser!!
              sigpic
              1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by R_David View Post
                Don't need AC up here in Boston, with the exception of a few weeks in September. But if I ever move south you can bet I will be going to the junkyard to look for a mid-70's Buick condenser!!
                I remember the first week of July 1963, it was 100 plus degrees for days in the Boston area.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                X