No announcement yet.

289 v8 setup for street and strip ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 v8 setup for street and strip ???

anyone running a 289 for the street and strip ??? if so what tranny are you using ?? what gears ??? im just curious because im thinking about future builds for my 49 2r5

The 54 Conestoga I'm currently working on (actually two of'em)...
    One is a daily driver that will see action at the local 1/8th mile track. The other will be much more race oriented and see duty at both the 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile track (a bit further away).
    Both fully street drivers, both have T200-4R trans. The driver has 3.73 rear gears and the hot rod has...well it's a Quick Change axle, so it'll be what I feel I need at that moment..!

The hot rod's trans. is fitted with a trans. brake, the daily driver does not.
    The hot rods trans. was built by Scott McClay.

The daily driver's trans. was built by Art Carr.
    The Official Art Carr 2004R Transmission - California Performance Transmission stocks high performance 200-4R and 700R4 Automatic Transmissions, Torque Converters, Shifters and Racing Parts

Hope that helps a little.

Mike

Comment

I have been running an R-2 supercharged 289 with a 0.040 overbore (295) for several years. It is a street/strip car and has the 200 4-R OD GM automatic with a 4.09 rear axle ratio Dana 44. Gets 15+ mpg on the highway and runs high 13's in the 1/4 mile and high 8's in the 1/8th mile.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by austins49 View Post
        anyone running a 289 for the street and strip ??? if so what tranny are you using ?? what gears ??? im just curious because im thinking about future builds for my 49 2r5
        It would be much easier to list what hasn't been used. You need to define your goals. How fast do you want to go and how much are you prepared to spend to get there? What's most important; cost, ET, MPG?

Trannies I've run or know the car/truck which did. T86, T85, T89, T98, T10, Ford top loader, Mopar A833, T5, T56, TKO for a few standards.

Automatics: B-W Flightomatic/Powershift/Ford FMX and AMC versions, GM TH700R4, 2004R, 350, 400, Mopar 727OD.

Gears: everything from 2.56 to 6.33. (Alan was hell off the line!)

When you define your goals and budget, you'll get much more specific advice.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I once put a 401 nailhead in a 57 Chevy Pickup. Let me suggest that while you are thinking about what to power it with also consider what you are going to do out back as you will be significantly traction limited.

Gonna be a fun project though, Bob

Comment

would like ets around 14 seconds and mpgs 17 or better lol as for cost not sure yet

Comment

Mickey Pearce out of Lakeland Florida is a person that you might contact.
              He has a C cab that does run 14's , and is driven . I have only met him once , so
              I am only passing on what I know. He has run at the Orphans Drag races , and can
              be seen in some of the vids that Richard Poe has posted .
              Bill H
              Daytona Beach
              SDC member since 1970
              Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Originally posted by austins49 View Post
                would like ets around 14 seconds and mpgs 17 or better lol as for cost not sure yet
                A well-built/tuned/driven R2 with 4,10 or 4.56 gears and TwinTraction should get your 2R5 into the 14-second range. It will require an overdriven transmission and a light foot to get to your 17 MPG.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

thanks for your input

Comment

Working...
                  X