1963 avanti how to install the grille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1963 avanti how to install the grille

i HAVE A NEW NOS GRILLE FOR MY 63 AVANTI AND HAVE DECIDED TO INSTALL IT. CAN A MEMBER GIVE ME GOOD INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO INSTALL THE GRILLE ?
    THANKS , JOE

Joe Parsons

from what i recall, the grille just screwed right in to fasteners already there.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0357.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1688134Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0358.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1688133

underneath the grille, i had put in a Saturn air dam for more cooling...
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

There are three "loops" on the top of the grille, that a screw goes through into corresponding holes, and tinnerman nuts (sheet metal "J" nuts)...in the fiberglass. They are located on the lip behind the bumper. The lower section has studs protruding from the grille, and they are installed with fender washers, and nuts from underneath. The lower scoop (the very bottom) has larger access holes for the nuts....I believe they are 3/4"
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bezhawk , would you be able to send me a few photos of the attachment points from your avanti ? thanks for your reply
        sounds like I do not have to drill any holes in the fiber glass correct ? I have a NOS grille and have decided it will look better in the front cavity car which looks empty without it
        thanks , Joe my email is joebetsy6@gmail.com

Joe Parsons

Comment

There are 9 (NINE) holes in the fiberglass!!!! Three on the top lip that the metal "J" clips straddle, the three on the inside of the lower scoop for the grille studs, and the three access large holes on the bottom of the scoop for the nuts for the studs. I will try to get some pics.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Joe, if your car did not have a grille, you WILL have to drill holes!
            Jim (aka ex AVANTI guy who knows nothing)
            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Please think of how much harder it will be to clean the grille and the area behind it as compared to no grille before you drill nine holes.

The grille assembly kit should have come with installation instructions.

The grille kit (P/N 1358783) was introduced via Sales Letter No. 166 dated 7/24/63.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have the location of the lower holes recorded, as I replaced the lower fibreglass lip on my Avanti and had to drill the holes when I installed the grille (NOS type). If you can wait for a month 'till I have access to the drawing, I'll be happy to send it to you. The trick is to locate and drill the 3 stud holes on the lower lip top surface and drill thru the lower surface with the proper stud size drill. Then enlarge the lower surface holes with a 3/4" hole saw. Drop the studs into the holes and then swing up the grille such that the upper fastening loops contact the upper lip surface of the body. Mark the center of the loops and drill an appropriate hole for the screws (#10 I think). Since the grille has probably been flattened, you will need to spend some time establishing the proper compound angle of the top and bottom rail of the grille to conform to that of the body. Otherwise, it won't fit right. This needs to be done before marking and drilling any holes! If done right, the studs should drop into the lip holes as you swing up the grille to contact the upper lip surface and should require no force fit or strain on the fibreglass. BTW, I take mine out once a year to clean the rad of grasshoppers and the like - easy to do.

You will probably have to tweak the angles of the upper loops to meet the upper body lip properly, as well, and maybe the lower studs, as the fastening nuts must be on the same plane as the fibreglass.
                Last edited by WCP; 03-09-2014, 11:03 AM. Reason: Additional thought

Comment

I will be taking the Avanti to a concours in early May so to wait for your drawing information will be fine ..perhaps you can send early april ?
                  My car is serial number 1099 so its is a very early 63 built in 1962 number 99 and it did not have a grille
                  thanks , Joe

Joe Parsons

Comment

Someone should have a cop of the original grille kit installation instructions. Maybe the SDC template file?

Chris.

Comment

Tape off ALL of the exposed painted areas around the grille as it can be a tricky thing to install and the paint can suffer: a helper would be ideal from my personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by 58 Hawk View Post
                        I will be taking the Avanti to a concours in early May so to wait for your drawing information will be fine ..perhaps you can send early april ?
                        My car is serial number 1099 so its is a very early 63 built in 1962 number 99 and it did not have a grille
                        thanks , Joe
                        Your Avanti was built in August 1962. (You probably already knew that, but thought I would post for the benefit of others.)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Avanti Grille Installation

Rather than providing this information to 58Hawk by PM, it's posted here for the benefit of others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1085.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1688439 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1084.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1688440 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1082.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1688441

I forgot to dimension the 1/4" offset of the centre hole from the opening centre. The lateral dimensions are hole centre to hole centre. Care needs to be taken to check that the apparent centre of the lower "scoop" agrees with the measured centre of the grille opening. The grille sides must lay in contact with the grille opening sides. Therefore the opening centre should be used to locate drill locations.
                          Also, the extreme ends of the lateral grille wires should be bevelled off with a file, to keep the edges from cutting into the paint and fibreglass.
                          These dimensions apply to the original grilles and may not be suitable for the later reproduction units.

Comment

Joe, this will bring the post forward, so it's easier to find. Click on the pictures in post #13.

Comment

Bump again for Joe.

Comment

Working...
                              X