1950 2R engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1950 2R engine swap

I have a '50 2R with a bad 170 engine and 3 speed/OD. I also have a good '49 245 engine from a 2R15 with 4 speed. How much modification will it take to put the bigger engine in place of the 170? I want to keep the flathead six look. Will the 3/OD transmission bolt up to the bigger engine?

Thank you

Contact Roy Valdez, here on the forum. He's the local 50 51 guru. He would have all that info for you. Probably any parts you might need to make it happen as well. Good luck.
    sals54

Comment

The parts book will show you which parts must be changed, which include the motor mounts, clutch linkage, throttle linkage, radiator and shrouds, drive shaft (can be shortened) and a few other items. Not sure about the bell housing. If you have access to the parts truck that the Commander engine came out of, you'll have everything you need, including good templates on where to drill new holes. A few other things were different between the 2R5 and 2R6, such as the front springs and Pitman arm, but you can get by without changing them.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks, Is the block from the '49 1.5 ton truck with a 4 speed the same as used in a '49 Commander w/overdrive?

Comment

Yes on the block question.

The Commander six postwar engine blocks are the same for all intents and purposes across the truck and car line (trucks only after 1950).

The truck transmissions for the Commander six were bigger than for the Champion engine, so they do not bolt up across applications.

As a general rule, the Champion powered trucks used Commander-sized clutch and transmission components. I don't know what they put in the Commander powered trucks.

The Commander 226 was stroked to 245 in 1949.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-05-2014, 07:20 PM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

To add to what Roy said: the Commander 6 blocks are the same, but a HD truck engine (cloverleaf symbol on the serial boss) will have HD valves and roto-caps. Some of the external accessories are different between car and truck applications. The OD trans used with the Champion engine was a lighter-duty unit than the one used with the Commander 6 and V8. I checked the parts book and the bell housings are all different and also depended on what trans was mounted. The Commander 6 used the 48/49 passenger car bell housing with the OD trans. The Champion bell housing is completely different.

And BTW, a 2R15 came with the Champion engine. Assume your Commander 6 engine came out of a 2R14.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Thank you all. This gives me a lot of things to check on before proceeding. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X