50 Champion rear axel swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 50 Champion rear axel swap

I would like to swap my 4 lugs for 5 lugs. Question, can I put 51-52 Champion axel shafts in the 50 housing or will I have to swap the complete rear axel? I have 2 50, 1 51 and 1 52 rear axels to chose from but the springs are not the same width. I could get around that if need be. Thanks

doubledaddy
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

The basic idea is that, from 51 and up, you can swap all sorts of things around, but 47-50 are different beasts.

There is some information and some mis-information on this thread.

If you want 5 lug hubs/drums on the front, you need special bushings.

If you want 5 lug hubs/drums on the rear the axles will have to be changed, but I do not know if the axles will fit into the 50 rear end. It may be better to change the entire rear end, but be aware of the axle ratios.

There is also some information on this thread.

You can also search different titles and find out a lot of what people have been saying by using the search function.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-23-2013, 01:10 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks Radioroy, I think I will just swap the entire thing. I have both the 51 and 52 sitting in the garage and the 50 is just sitting in the car, not hooked up. Only thing I was trying to avoid was cleaning and painting another rear axel. The 50 has been finished. Not that big a job.

Doubledaddy
      sigpic
      Barn Find
      1950 Champion
      Before I started
      Jim Berry
      Midlothian, TX

Comment

You could also go to a later model and get limited slip and drum or disc brakes. I've put the Ford explorer read end under several Studebakers. They're plenty of them out there. Most tend to be 3.73 in both open and limited slip. They did have a 4.10 rear end in open and limited slip but that one is harder to find. They used a cable operated park brake (small brake shoes inside the rear rotor).

Comment

Originally posted by studepack View Post
          You could also go to a later model and get limited slip and drum or disc brakes. I've put the Ford explorer read end under several Studebakers. They're plenty of them out there. Most tend to be 3.73 in both open and limited slip. They did have a 4.10 rear end in open and limited slip but that one is harder to find. They used a cable operated park brake (small brake shoes inside the rear rotor).
          3:73's would work well with relatively short tires.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Thanks all. I think I will use the 52. It's the same ratio, 4.56 and the wider spring mount can be fixed with some home fabricated spacers.

Doubledaddy
            sigpic
            Barn Find
            1950 Champion
            Before I started
            Jim Berry
            Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
            X