No oil filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: No oil filter?

I have a 1961 studebaker lark with the 259/3 spd overdrive.I am changing out all of the fluids, and I can't find an oil filter anywhere for the life of me. Were they optional equipment? Will this affect the oil I put in or how often I change it?

The spin on filter is mounted on the snorkel at the 2 bolt holes. It's a partial flow filter and it's a toss up as whether it does much. I'm sure someone here will sell you a used one. Filter Napa #1050. Can use 3/16 brake line from housing to plugs on the head and block.
    With todays oil and no filter, i'd change every 3k miles.
    Kim

Comment

The snorkel? I mean that I can't find an oil filter or even the housing to put an oil filter in...... as in no filter whatsoever.

Comment

Oil filters were optional so your car does not have one. Kits to install one can be had but the car has lived this long without one so I would just change the oil annually if it is not a daily driver and not worry about it.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Actually, I am planning on turning this into a daily driver (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment) Would you recommend Installing a filter? It's lasted for 52 years and 66,000 miles so far,
          what's another 50 years and 50,000 miles?

Comment

It was a daily driver a good part of its life so if you change the oil at regular intervals, in other words, by mileage, it should be fine. Oils are better today as well. I hate to give you a mileage to change it at however, as it depends a lot on the type of driving, like short trips, long trips, etc. Personally I would not run it more than 3000 miles between changes if it was mine and I was using a top quality oil.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

All right, thanks! what weight oil do you recommend for winter and summer? I live in Iowa, where it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter (below zero is not all that uncommon)

Comment

The snorkel is the tube that sticks up at the front center of the engine. It's where oil is put it. That tube has 2 hole in it and that's where the bracket attaches for the filter. This info is assuming your engine is a 61. Late 62-64 is full flow, filter on lower rear passenger side of the block and no snorkel. Again with todays oil i'd change every 3k miles and not use a filter, unless you live on a gravel road or dusty environment. City and highway driving, no filter.
                Hope this helps,
                Kim

Comment

Back in the 60's when I drove these cars daily I would use 30W in the summer and 20W20 in the winter months but with todays good multi weight oils a 10W30 oil may work OK for you year around. When it got down below zero here in Omaha I used to put 10W in but I would not recommend that on your engine given its age. 5W20 would work during extended sub zero weather.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

VW Beetles never had any oil filter, and they often ran a long time. I'm not certain how much advantage an oil filter really is. Run decent oil (I like Chevron Delo 15w40 in old cars in hot weather, run 10w30something in the winter) change it every 3k or so, and
                    don't worry.

Comment

All right, thanks guys!

Comment

with my '40 (no oil filter), the P.O. stated he used 30W non-detergent oil changed every 1,500 miles or every 6 months - whatever was first. he was in New Jersey, so it got cold up there - and i went up and got it in January and had no problems in the cold weather.

with the '51, also with no oil filter, Tom and then Matthew also used a 30W - but detergent oil. i haven't put 1500 miles on her, but have changed the oil every 6 months - this spring and fall. it's a small price to pay (cheaper than installing the filter parts, i would think) to keep her "blood" fresh.

i have to replace at least the valve guides (probably more) this winter. i may go with a multi-grade synthetic oil after that, but i see no need for a filter, especially a partial flow...
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I agree with everyones' thoughts on simply using a modern ca. 10W-30 oil, changing it every 3,000 miles and calling it good.
                          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

One thing that I have found about having an engine with no oil filter is, the oil changing process is so much simpler that it's not anywhere near the chore to do when you do have to change a filter. Change your oil once or twice a year? SURE! It's a snap!

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                              with my '40 (no oil filter), the P.O. stated he used 30W non-detergent oil changed every 1,500 miles or every 6 months - whatever was first. he was in New Jersey, so it got cold up there - and i went up and got it in January and had no problems in the cold weather. ...
                              If you ever decide to switch to a detergent oil in the '40 DO NOT simply drain the non-detergent oil and replace with detergent. One of Torrey Kirby's cars, a very low miles one-owner always garaged '53 Nash Ambassador which had only experienced non-detergent oil, got changed to detergent oil. The detergent cleared up so much sludge and stuff that the engine was locked up and ruined.
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X