Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Clutch linkage - 3spd to 4spd

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    The clutch cross-shaft pivot that mounts to the transmission will be located differently on each transmission. Not too difficult to make an appropriate piece. You will also need to change the length of the adjustment arm. Most good hardware stores have threaded rod ends, and fine threaded rod.
    Okay... the above quote is from a thread started last year. BezHawk starts out with the answer and doesn't quite give all I am looking for. I don't have the truck manuals and will have to order them.

In the meantime...

I have a '62 champ that I would like to switch a T85G-14B for a T98-148H (has a tag riveted on the cover saying 3-7 also). The Clutch cross-shaft pivot is indeed the issue here as it mounts on the T85G and there's nowhere to mount it on the T98. So, what do I do to adapt this? Do I hang something off the frame? I'm almost tempted to put the kit adapter from the Chevy on the T85G because I'm kinda pressed for time right now. However I really want to install the T98 ASAP anyway and am going to need to know how all the same.

My plan is to use this truck to pull a horse trailer and will need the heavier tranny so to do. Oh, and before anyone asks, yes I got the bell housing for the heavier tranny. Would have liked to have gotten the whole '61 Champ, but not enough money and thus it got squished to satisfy the Eco-fascists. There's a nice '53 Land Cruiser there too that he's offered to me for $600. Everything there, still needs it all. Redding summers have done the interior in big time. Doesn't even look too very rusty. Lots of surface though. He said it's on the list next. Likely won't have the cash for it.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

I understand what You're saying. Studebaker supported that pivot with a bracket mounted under two of the bottom side cover bolts. (On the passenger car T-85) A Stude parts manual would show an illustration of this piece, and I wouldn't think that it would be too hard to fabricate.

Comment

?That's quite correct on the three-speed. On the four-speed there is no such animal. Looks like I'm going to have to order the manuals? Would anyone be willing to scan and post for me? Pppppplease?
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
        ?That's quite correct on the three-speed. On the four-speed there is no such animal. Looks like I'm going to have to order the manuals? Would anyone be willing to scan and post for me? Pppppplease?
        Whoops...Sorry!....Thought You meant T-89!

Comment

bringing this one back......

I have run into this problem with my Champ. Was this problem ever resolved? Will I end up having to fabricate something?

Charles
          Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Studebaker has as many brackets for the cross shaft mount as there are cars, trucks and transmissions multiplied times each other then doubled again. In other words, there will always be a bracket available for any such installation as one can conceive. The trouble is finding the one you need. Its almost always easier to fabricate one while you're searching for the one you need.
            I've made several of these and can tell you that its very easy to do.
            Once the trans is in the vehicle, locate the cross shaft from the frame mount to the trans. Once located, find a spot on the trans where a bracket can be mounted. Sometimes on the side cover, like the T85 or T10, or sometimes the mounting boss on the bottom of the trans.
            If you can't make the bracket you have work, you may have to grind off the rivets that hold the cup to the bracket. This cup is mounted on a small piece of spring steel. Do not remove the cup from the spring steel. separate the spring steel from the bracket. You need that spring steel for the torquing, or twisting you'll encounter under acceleration and braking. Figure out where the bracket and cup need to intersect and join the two parts. I used shoulder bolts, lock washers and lock nuts to keep everything together.
            Its not too tough. Remember that the new bracket you make needs only to be strong in "shear", so if you're going to use hardware store L brackets, as I did, get the large heavy duty ones. Its not going to pull apart. The cross shaft just needs an anchor for when the pedal is applied.
            I'm sure this is as clear as mud, but if you poke your head under any Stude with clutch linkage intact, you'll see how its done and how simple it is to fabricate. No machining needed. All this could be done in an hour or two with a drill and hack saw.
            sals54

Comment

Cool, thanks sals54

I have no problem fabing something up. If its pretty enough maybe I will post up a picture to go along with this thread
              Charles

Comment

I have many of these brackets but I need part numbers and warmer weather.
                It has been too cold to go to the warehouse so you will need patience.
                I have over 22.000 different Studebaker parts inventoried.

Comment

That would be awesome if I knew the part number I needed. I am trying to finding it but so far no luck
                  Charles

Comment

Originally posted by what huh View Post
                    That would be awesome if I knew the part number I needed. I am trying to finding it but so far no luck
                    Once you have a chance to mount the trans, and mock up the cross shaft, you may take a peek at some of the parts manuals that use the trans you've installed. You may be surprised to see the exact part you need. You can then send a request to Bob Kapteyn.
                    sals54

Comment

Working...
                    X