No announcement yet.

'63 Avanti Solid Motor Mounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: '63 Avanti Solid Motor Mounts?

Is there a stiffer solid lower motor mount available to replace my rubber mounts? Just added quite a bit of power to my R1 engine, along with new larger exhaust, so getting some banging from one of the drivers side exhaust pipes.

Originally posted by Jaybot View Post
    Is there a stiffer solid lower motor mount available to replace my rubber mounts? Just added quite a bit of power to my R1 engine, along with new larger exhaust, so getting some banging from one of the drivers side exhaust pipes.
    By 'solid' do You mean all metal steel mounts? (As in some racing applications?)

Comment

Secure Engine Mounts

I'll take that to mean "Solidly Bolted".
      Yes you could use '51-'52 Commander V8 front mounts they are the same as Ford, with a through Bolt, crush sleeve, washers and Nuts.

Available at: studebakervendors.com

The rubber may be just a bit too tall and on an Avanti you can't have that, because of hood clearance so it will require a bit of "shaving."

Another method is; after replacing the torn Mount, Chain the left front Engine Mount Bracket to the frame with a bit of slack.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, looking for metal mounts.

Comment

Another method is to gather up some busted mounts, and drill all the way through the rubber pads, top to bottom.
          Then measure threaded stock long enough to go thru 2 pieces of the rubber as well as the motor and chassis mounts, with room for 2 BIG flat washers along with lock washers at each end.
          Put one donut in the usual place between the mounts and the other below the chassis mount, then assemble with the threaded rod going through the entire package with flat washer, lock washer, and nut at each (above the block mount and below the chassis mount)end. When you can snug up the whole thing, you will have pretty much eliminated movement and still maintained the rubber cushioning.

Comment

Solid metal mounts (Insulators) are never used on any car because the noise and vibration would drive anyone right out of the Car.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X