Starting a big six on an engine stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Starting a big six on an engine stand

I've just finished a ring and valve job on my "extra" Big Six (50 Land Cruiser). The original engine and trans are still in the car. The rebuilt engine is mounted on a stand and I would like to know if I'll damage the DRY torque converter when I start up the engine (the flywheel is welded to the torque converter). I've searched the web for quite some time and can't find any info on spinning a dry torque converter. I also am wondering if anyone knows where to find technical/ rebuild info on the trans/ torque converter. Thanks in advance.

I think you would be wise to try to find a solid flywheel for use on the stand since the converter might have balance problems without the shafts supporting the internals. It has both a torque converter and a clutch inside it.
    I don't have my transmission manual handy but I believe it addresses rebuilding the torque converter.
    Rob

Comment

Thank you for your input. I have an extra transmission that I can attach. The trans and torque converter haven't been in operation for 20+ years, but I can throw some fluid in them and let 'er rip. Just a flywheel won't be enough because then I'd have to get hold of the right bell housing (to provide attachment for the starter). I've looked for the Bendix automatic trans manual, but the Shop Manual I have (covers 1950 vehicles) only has info on the stick shift trans.

Comment

You want the Studebaker Automatic Drive shop manual. It describes everything about these transmissions including hydralic circuits and disassmbly and rebuild of the torque converter. If our vendors don't have them they come up on ebay fairly often. You probably know that this bell housing is a one year only deal since studebaker went to the V8 in 51. The transmission carries on through the beginning of '55 in varying models.
        It is actually a very good transmission but was heavy and expensive with the 3 band design.
        Rob

Comment

The Commander six has a lot of torque and is top heavy - at least more top heavy than a V-8.

You might take extra precautions against the motor trying to flip itself and the test stand over on its side.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks to mapman and Radio Roy for the suggestions. I found a 50's Automatic trans Preliminary manual on ebay for $20.

Comment

Technically, it's a Commander six, the Big Six was much earlier!
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
              X