170 cu.in manifold question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 170 cu.in manifold question

I can only find 4 of the intake manifold hold down covers that go on the studs under the nuts. I thought I kept everything together when the motor came apart. Am I missing two or does a washer or something else go on the stud? thanks...........If I need two more, I'd be happy to talk to you about a couple more.

The '55 to '58 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog lists the 4 Center Studs as longer and the two End Studs as shorter, with the center Studs getting the 4 Manifold "Clamps" as the spacers are called, and the ends having washers, all 6 get 3/8" fine thread Nuts.

You do have a Parts Catalog and Shop Manual right?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I do have an S.I. catalog. I guess I should have specified it's a 1950 Champion. And in the catalog I have on page 173, part #5356175 were manifold intake clamps but they were for 63+64 Avanti and 51-64 car and truck. I didn't find them for a 1950. Found it odd I would use washers on the end of the intake. All my intake/exhaust studs are the same length. Thank you..........Rick

Comment

StudeRich is correct, four clamps in the middle, washers on the ends of my '49 Champion engine.
        Rick
        Kingman, AZ

Comment

Buy the real/official parts manuals. They are not that expensive and a little reading will eliminate many expensive mistakes and delays.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Could not agree with RadioRoy more. I have the Shop Manual, Body Parts Manual, and Chassis Parts Manual for my 1950 Champion and they have been invaluable. If it has to be one manual, the Chassis Parts Manual would be the best choice. Also rely on the SI catalogue, Turning Wheels and many Studebaker friends for advice and support.

Comment

Thanks, I have the shop manual and the SI calalog----but the other two? I don't have. Can you give me some insight into what they have other than what is in the shop manual? Other than a frame off restoration---I've redone ( 1950 Champion 9G-170, flat 6) the whole thing myself. I'm pretty much down to the wiring--yea the 6 volt positive ground(weird), but I'll get there....thanks so much for any help...............

Comment

The "official" parts manuals show all the parts, how they fit together with each other, what their name is, and their part number. That helps in communicating with others who might have the parts. The drawings in the SI catalog come from the parts manuals, but the parts manuals are so much more than that.

They also tell what parts will interchange to other years and models, if you have more parts books. It's a cheap way to avoid making expensive and time consuming mistakes.

6 volt positive ground is not "weird". The vast majority of 6 volt cars were positive ground with the exception of most of the GM cars. That's the way the majority of cars were before 1955. Just because you are not familiar with a particular system, that does not mean the system is weird. It only means you have more to learn about the way things were in the past.

Having the books and reading them is a cheap way to learn, so you don't have to learn the hard way by making mistakes and then correcting them.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks, I should not say weird--just different to me. You give me good advise, thank you...............Rick

Comment

Working...
                  X