Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! rigid window run replacement on my 63 Wagonaire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Help! rigid window run replacement on my 63 Wagonaire.

In my quest to stop my windows from rattling around in the 50 year old window runs, I'm trying to install the rigid window channel (that I bought 15 years ago) in my 63 Wagonaire. I took the drivers door apart and drilled out all the rivets that secure the run to the door, and the ones that hold the channel, the stainless trim and the wing window weather strip all together.
    Now, I cannot figure out how to rivet the wing window weather strip, the trim and the rigid channel back together. I have several rivet guns but none of them will fit into the rigid channel far enough to securely fasten it all together, and the rivets can't go through from the wing window rubber to be fastened because the rivet tail that sticks through will stop the window from going up. Anybody have any tricks or tips to enlighten me?
    Thanks in advance, Kelly

What works for me is to cut a short piece of brake line, so the 'pin' on the rivet passes through it and into the rivit tool. You have cut it short enough so the rivet still grips inside the rivet tool and long enough to allow the rivet to pass into the channel. It may take a few trials to get the right length.

Good luck
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

It worked. Thank you! 3 doors to go.
      Thanks a million, Kelly

Comment

Working...
      X