Oil consuming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil consuming

is it ok thet my studebaker lark 63 6 cyl need oil after 200 km ?
    its need 1/4 kilo
    the engie after general overhol in 2006
    thenk you
    ofer

If the dipstick shows that it needs oil, it's best to fill it to the fill line.

If it hasn't been changed since 2006, it's best to empty out the old oil and refill with fresh oil.

Mike

Comment

Skip this post, errors removed.
      Last edited by Tom Bredehoft; 10-13-2012, 09:34 AM.

Comment

1/4 Liters in 200 KM? What volume is a Kilo?

that's .26 quarts in 124 miles (US)

That's better than my 289, I get about 275 miles for a quart. It doesn't burn it, just seems to loose it. I don't add any till its down a quart.

Yes, change the oil annually, in any case.

Comment

A bit excessive. I would draw the line at 1 qt. per 1000 miles. cheers
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Whether that amount of oil loss is okay or not depends partly on how long you are willing to keep feeding it that expensive oil or whether it is putting up a blue cloud that embarrasses you. It also depends on how often you drive the car. If you do not drive it a lot, having to periodically add oil is probably not a big deal. Burning that amount of oil probably does not noticeably affect how the engine is running, but at some point the oil consumption will get bad enough that it starts fouling spark plugs. Then the engine won't run very well. If it puts out blue smoke when you start the engine after driving it somewhere, such as the grocery store, then oil inside the valve covers is leaking into the cylinders when you shut off the engine. The umbrella type valve seals get hard over time. I have even seen cases where some have broken in two and fallen off the valve stems. Changing valve seals is not particularly hard on that overhead valve engine if you determine that they are contributing to the problem. ~ Dale

Comment

Originally posted by oforstudebaker View Post
              is it ok thet my studebaker lark 63 6 cyl need oil after 200 km ?
              its need 1/4 kilo
              the engie after general overhol in 2006
              thenk you
              ofer
              1/4 kilo for 200 km equals 1,5 l for 1000 km.
              That's a lot. You should try to use 20 W 50 oil.
              The consumption of my newly overhauled engine is zero, except for the few usual drips.
              1l for 1000 km is usually considered as a maximum but this may vary. I've been stunned when I discovered that the normal oil consumption for my Mercedes 230 E (W 123) was 0,25 l for 100 km, according to their litterature!
              sigpic

Comment

Factory literature for A buddy's new Subaru(s) says up to 1 qt/1000 miles is "normal". Of course both cars do WAY better than that, but they found one car 2 qts low just before the last few oil changes (5k plus miles , I think). Despite being a self proclaimed aspiring hot rodder car enthusiast, reading the owner's manual (which says check the danged oil once in a while) is not high on his list.

Comment

Working...
                X