K Body Window Rollers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: K Body Window Rollers

This is just a FYI on replacing the window rollers on our GT Hawk. I believe the same rollers are used on 53 through '64 K body cars. There was more rust on these rollers than on the rest of the car. I think I could put a watch together now. The springs are really a pain to install.

Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

I packed the bearings and surrounding area with white lithium grease. cheers jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

did you have to replace them?

Comment

A few were still good but at least half were shot as there was no evidence of lube. There are 3 different types of 5 bearings per window. The difference is the centered axles within the bearings. Look closeley when you get your bearing kit. Be very observant upon disassembly and you should not have any problems. It ain't brain surgery. cheers jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

It might not be brain surgery, but it sure is a PITA.
          Especially when it comes to the pic in the service manual.
          Had a disintegrated window set, and a bag of SI parts.
          Took a few hours to piece it together properly.

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
          <snip> It ain't brain surgery.
          cheers jimmijim
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one that took a few hours to accomplish the project. As a reference, the SI part numger is 801453
            Perry
            \'50 Business Champion
            \'50 Starlight Champion
            \'60 Lark Convertible,
            \'63 GT R1,
            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

FPSTUDE thanks for the pix. mine look as bad, what a mess!
              hapner

Comment

Yours is in awesome shape to start!!!! Here are the parts of the side I've been able to remove.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140723_112719.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1691448

Here is the other one ! After 6 hours in the Electrolysis tank and power scrubbing, I'm approaching a point we may be able with a few more cycles to remove the rollers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140723_133152.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1691449 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140723_133215.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1691450

Yes, it looks pretty rough but at this point I still think I can save the carrier. Another 24 hours in the tank and angle grinder/wire brush should make major difference.

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude;686976

[IMG
                  http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/fpstude/P1010769w.jpg[/IMG]
                  I know this is an old thread, but I'm about to do the roller replacement on mine, and want to know if there's more than the two philips screws holding the roller carrier onto the window frame? (the picture shows the end of one screw against the black background, the other one is at the very top right of the picture) I can't imagine trying to replace rollers and springs with the carrier attached, but right now I have them soaking in penetrating oil, and I'm thinking I'll end up drilling out those screws. I'd like to know from someone else's experience if that's all it takes to get the carrier separated from the window frame, or are there some welds?

edit: rats, the picture didn't come through. It's the second picture in post number 1 from fpstude.
                  Paul
                  Last edited by 3rdGenStude; 09-22-2014, 06:45 PM. Reason: no picture
                  I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                  1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Check this thread. I posted my old sketches of the window frames and rollers.

In reading your post, are you asking about the "bottom" of the window frame the bottom of the glass sits in? That is removed from the rest of the frame with 2 screws on each end. The bottom rear of the rest of the window frame that has the rollers mounted in it does not come off. It is welded to the stainless frame. I had to weld cracks in the stainless right near the welds when I reworked the windows. Its a high stress area from pulling on there when opening or closing the door and not using the handle (in or out).

I still wonder if SI has the cartons of NOS GT windows I saw at SASCO in 2007.
                    Last edited by Jeff_H; 09-23-2014, 05:06 AM.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                      Check this thread. I posted my old sketches of the window frames and rollers.

The bottom rear of the rest of the window frame that has the rollers mounted in it does not come off. It is welded to the stainless frame.
                      Jeff,

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wanting to know. No wonder everybody says changing the rollers is a PITA.

Paul

Comment

My Window Roller Pics--

Comment

Thanks mmagic. Yeah, I had done search and looked at pretty much every message on the roller subject. Just didn't see anything about separating the carrier from the frame.

Paul

Comment

Replacing the rollers is a real character builder, as is almost everything associated with an Avanti. It's good to see others do this "unseen" roller repair. Ken, Deltaville Va

Comment

It may have been in Dick Datsons publications but somewhere I read that someone
                              removed the rollers and installed a teflon "U" channel.
                              Any ingenious tinkerers wants to explore this?

Comment

Working...
                              X