Run newly rebuilt engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Run newly rebuilt engine

Gentlemen: Has anyone run a newly rebuilt engine on a rebuilt frame(body off) with no transmision. I don't think it can be done, but I'd like to be proven wrong. How could it be done? Thank you, Bob Fish

As long as you can start it, have a fuel system and a cooling system...what's the problem ?
    You basically have a run-in stand...on wheels.. Kinda like a dyno...without the loading system.

Mike

Comment

It's done all the time. Some places sell stands just for that purpose but I have seen much nicer homemade ones using old frame sections.

Comment

I test ran my '51 Commander V-8 on an engine stand made of slide together exhaust tubing with the engine laying in a cradle of tow chain.... it ran fine until I cracked the throttle and it torqued over spilling the gas can and pulling off the battery cables (we were using jumper cables & I was 16 years old at the time). DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME !!
        I have since run engines bolted to a shipping pallate with no problems.

Comment

Could the problem be, you don't have anywhere to bolt the starter ? Is it a auto or std shift? Or is there no flywheel (auto) If it's a std, then clutch housing and flywheel. Is this the problem?
          Last edited by Flashback; 10-01-2012, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Here's a ready-made unit but many folks have built their own.

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Gentlemen, my point is how to hook up the starter without the transmission & flywheel on the converter.
              Last edited by feralcat0_0; 10-02-2012, 09:00 AM. Reason: used wrong word

Comment

I can remember running a V8 engine that was hanging from a chain. This was in my youth. I do not recommend it now.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by feralcat0_0 View Post
                  Gentlemen, my point is how to hook up the starter without the transmission & flywheel on the converter.
                  I don't think the starter will have anything to turn without the flywheel.

Comment

Originally posted by feralcat0_0 View Post
                    Flywheel with ring gear from a standard transmission should work. An automatic trans vehicle would have the ring gear on the torque convertor with a flex plate. That's not going to happen without the transmission. Maybe hand crank from the front pulley like the old days.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      Flywheel with ring gear from a standard transmission should work.
                      Maybe not. The standard shift crankshaft bolts are longer than the automatic ones.

Comment

True. Changing those would require dropping the rear main seal; a lot of trouble to go to to do a test run.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Without a flywheel... I don't think it would run... the momentum of the flywheel is pretty necessary, I would think.

...but what would I know, I lost an exhaust manifold in my shop for almost a year!

Comment

Couldn't you mount a flex plate and an "old" torque convertor and start it? I would think that you could possibly damamge a good torque convertor by running the engine with no tranny fluid in it.
                            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Gentleman: Thank you for your help. Guess I'll just wait till I get the Transmission ouerhauled fo a test run. The body won't be ready before the trasmission is done. Got a lot of work there. Thanks again. Bob Fish

Comment

Working...
                              X